Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X440-g2 Cant update Failed to download image - tftp: timeout

X440-g2 Cant update Failed to download image - tftp: timeout

JulioJ
New Contributor
g96mo0oGTJKgmO0Le7eV_Captura.png
This switch have firmware 21.1.2 and I don´t update from USB because this option is from the version  22 onwards.
I´m trying by TFTP, but have the error Failed to download image - tftp: timeout. I have the error both locally and by controller.
From the XMC Download the firmware very slowly and when it takes 20 minutes it has only downloaded 5 MB.
What solution can I have?
1 REPLY 1

Gabriel_G
Extreme Employee

Hi Julio,

A TFTP timeout indicates that the switch was unable to get a response from the TFTP server. This could be due to various things, but is most commonly due to a firewall blocking TFTP traffic (including windows firewall).

I'd check the following:
-Can you ping the TFTP server from the switch using the appropriate VR context? If you're unsure of VR, simply note that VR-Mgmt is for the dedicated out of band management port only, VR-Default contains all normal front panel data ports.

ping vr <VR> <TFTP Server IP>

-Can you do the download image command and specify that VR specifically:
download image <TFTP IP> <File.xos> <VR>

-If that still timesout, I'd check any firewalls in the middle, even windows firewall (if the TFTP server is also windows).

Worst case scenario, you could setup a quick point-to-point network between the switch and a directly connected laptop to rule out any intermediate firewalls.

Hope that helps!

GTM-P2G8KFN