Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X440-G2 neighbors discover

X440-G2 neighbors discover

gabs
New Contributor

Hello!

I need help to discover how a group of X440-G2 switches is inter-connected (which port to which port at the other end).

I can get with "show fdb" all station MACs connected to every switch, but switches themselves are inter-connected in a complicated topology. It must be (by design) a redundant ring of 8 switches, with a redundant star converging at two additional switches.

I'm very interested in knowing how the ring and star are formed.

LLDP, CDP and EDP are disabled, and I'm not sure if can be turned on. This system is part of an industrial DCS and is better not to change config hehe...

Thanks in advance. Any help is very much appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3

OscarK
Extreme Employee

From each switch gather the switch mac-address from show switch.

Then on each switch do "show fdb <mac-address>" which will give the ports where that mac-address is learned, this way you dont have to go through the complete fdb output.

Easier is with LLDP/CDP/EDP but if you dont want to enable this the show fdb is the only way to go I think.

gabs
New Contributor

Thank you OscarK. Already tried that. Problem is I get on some ports all other switches' MACs, but I can´t know what switch in particular is connected to the port. I mean when a mac is learned to a port, I can't know if it is directly connected or through another switch.

I guess activating EDP is inevitable here. But first I need to learn more about it. I read somewhere that is not recommended to turn-on on port connected to no-Extreme devices, but I'm pretty sure all upstream ports are connected to extreme switches only.

dpanev
Contributor

i would just enable edp on uplink ports (or all) and then show edp ports all

GTM-P2G8KFN