cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XoS in Vmware ESXi

XoS in Vmware ESXi

simon_bingham
New Contributor II
Quick question, can the virtual XOS image that seems to be designed for virtual box be made to run on Vmware ESXi, the reason for this request is we already have virtual versions of most vendor products, this can be connected together inside the ESXi Environment, this is great for training and simulating customer issues. However try as I might I cannot convert this to run in ESXi.

35 REPLIES 35

Drew_C
Valued Contributor III
Hi Simon,
The virtual EXOS image should run just fine in ESXi with some modifications to the VM properties before it is installed.

When building the new VM, choose “Other Linux 64-bit” for the type. You’ll have to edit the properties of it once it’s “created” and delete the existing hard disk (should be SCSI) add a new one that is a 256MB IDE drive (instead of SCSI). Memory should be 256MB as well. Mount the ISO in the CD drive, and fire away.

bf75db2e60144dcab9b28c0e722ee640_3850-1h9biuu_inline.png

A note on the network adapters... the first one is for the out-of-band management port. You can have 3 ports on the network side (I think that’s the limit at least). Those need to be E1000 mode ports. You can use vSwitches in VMware to connect different EXOSpc instances. You can also map those to NICs on a server and have a physical port to connect to.

Please let me know if you have questions. I’ll be glad to answer them. I can also build an OVA file and share it with you if needed.

-Drew

dflouret
Extreme Employee
I've done it without problems.

But just in case, here's an OVA file made specifically for EXSi:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/swoy9yovudxzco0/XOS1_v0001.ova?dl=0

Yong
New Contributor
Ok. already

Thank you

Seems like to have to wait for a while.( as you have discovered ), just be a little careful when enabling your adapters as it does act as a switch, so if you enable the 2nd and 3rd ports to the same virtual network the VM will loop them !!, you can always enable stpd s0 to protect against this.

SB
New Contributor
Its working now.... Thanks Simon
GTM-P2G8KFN