cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XoS in Vmware ESXi

XoS in Vmware ESXi

simon_bingham
New Contributor II
Quick question, can the virtual XOS image that seems to be designed for virtual box be made to run on Vmware ESXi, the reason for this request is we already have virtual versions of most vendor products, this can be connected together inside the ESXi Environment, this is great for training and simulating customer issues. However try as I might I cannot convert this to run in ESXi.

35 REPLIES 35

simon_bingham
New Contributor II
I also notice it does Layer 2, which is a real surprise, I enabled STP and looped the ports, loop detected.

Simon, things like VPLS, ACL, QoS, that require hardware support aren't there. I mean, you CAN configure them, but they won't work.

But EAPS, G.8032, STP in all flavors, MLAG, BGP, OSPF all work pretty well.

I use this to recreate customers networks and troubleshoot things.

I think we all accept these sorts of VMs are as is, its much better the vendors put something out there, be it imperfect rather than sit on it and keep it internal ( like Ciscos IOU ) . I was not expecting anything layer 2 to work so that's just plus. What this does allow me to do is run internal training easily and to test out configurations.

Drew_C
Valued Contributor III
I should probably out this out, as quoted from another thread:
Please note that some features are not software emulated (yet) in the VM. Typically, while you can set VPLS on the control plane part, data plane will not work.

simon_bingham
New Contributor II
WOW I cannot thank you enough, I've already fired up the OVA, and gained out of band management, the ability to try things out quickly without fanfare is going to such a benefit to us.

GTM-P2G8KFN