cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XOS LACP Share Algorithm L2 how can I make load balance?

XOS LACP Share Algorithm L2 how can I make load balance?

Keith_Olmstead
New Contributor II
I have X670 Core with LAGS set up to edge using multicast traffic, but traffic is not balancing using L2 or L3. Is there an extra config needed to balance traffic?
10 REPLIES 10

Stephane_Grosj1
Extreme Employee
I'd change the hashing algorithm to custom and play with the hash to see what works better for you: XOR, CRC16 or CRC32.

EtherMAN
Contributor III
You can use L3_L4 for deepest inspection of packets to try and get a better share. From my experience you don't get a great share from IPTV type streams between two routers as the macs and such for each are the same on both sides. Port is not a good way to do traffic balancing. This has been the biggest reason for use in our ISP metro network to move from 4x10 lag ports to 100 gig interfaces and 870's ... Even the l3_l4 lags we had big internet users connecting their core router to ours and could generate flows at 5 or 6 gigs pushing a single ten gig interface in a lag group into the 90% usage range and the other 3 would be at 10% ... Just remember the more individual macs and flows you have the better the traffic will be spread across the lag group...

yes and no.... if you only had a single mac on each side of a 2 port share and you had L3/L4 configured you would still see those individual data sessions being split back and forth... If it is a stream such as you would see with a IPTV mcast it will stay on the port it landed on till the stream is pruned and not wanted... The days of this pack based sharing on switches is over. You can try the custom setup and changing the Hash like Stephane says... If you are really looking to load balance and not load share. Load balance is typically a layer 3 function and or done by dedicated piece of hardware designed to load balance the traffic equally across multiple paths vs load share which is single traffic flows are sent down a group of shared connection,

You kind of have to go back to basic network knowledge and understand what is on both sides of your connection and how they request and exchange traffic with each other.

So if there is a 2 port share and you have 2 sets of source and destination macs one set would be on one port and the next set would be on the other port.
Thanks, so am I right by thinking that our two shared fiber legs are just duplicating the forwarding database and not splitting source and destination macs.
GTM-P2G8KFN