cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuring 1 x460-g2-48-t-10ge4 as stack, so that a 2nd node can easily be added soon

Configuring 1 x460-g2-48-t-10ge4 as stack, so that a 2nd node can easily be added soon

cbuchenau
Contributor

We would like to enable stacking on 1 X460-G2-48t-10GE4 already now, so that we have the correct x:y port numbering and can easily add a 2nd node soon (we already have the 2nd switch, but need to use it different during migration for the first few months).

I tried that and encountered exactly the issue as described here:
https://extremeportal.force.com/ExtrArticleDetail?an=000062562

I understand that I should be able to solve this by changing the stacking-support ports to alternative, and thus the 2 SFP+ port 51 and 52.

Problem is: During that migration phase I need to use one of those ports to interconnect to another Switch (ports 49 and 50 are already taken).

So my fear is: If I now change stacking-support to use the alternative ports, I will probably lose the availability of 51 and 52 as normal SFP+ switch ports, or not?

Any thoughts / advise on this matter?

carsten

2 REPLIES 2

Patrick_Voss
Extreme Employee
Hi Carsten,

I will see if I can find another way but at first glance it appears you will need to have a stacking module installed in order to enable a single node stack on the G2.

Your fear is correct. By using alternate stacking those two ports will become stacking ports and cannot be used for normal up-link capability.

Paul_Russo
Extreme Employee
Hello Cartsen Stacking works in two different designs as a ring, which is recommended and desired, and daisy chained. The switch allows you to have one port as normal 10G and one port as stacking. You could start off with the stacking as a daisy chain and if this switch is the top switch it will only need one port to stack with the other switches.

once you are done with the migration you can then make the port a stacking port and finish out the ring design.

Does that help? Essentially you don't have to make both ports stacking from the beginning.

P
GTM-P2G8KFN