cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to replace a failed switch in a stack?

How to replace a failed switch in a stack?

Justin_Schmidt
New Contributor
I have two x460-48t switches configured in a stack. I want to create a procedure for replacing one of them if it fails. I searched and found a similar question from a year ago. But the document that was offered as a solution is no longer available to download. Can someone please help me out?
We will have a spare running the same XOS on the same partition as the active/backup nodes. So we can remove the failed node and install the spare. The necessary commands to add the new node and synchronize the stack is what I'm not clear on. Thanks a lot
14 REPLIES 14

welisson
New Contributor III
Hi Erik,

It just If I was using that sort of port "chameleon", or be, where i can use either stacking or traffic, is it rigth?

In that situation I'm using the module SS-V80-B-2, it is exclusive for stack.

Erik_Auerswald
Contributor II
Hi,

you need to enable stacking first.

Erik

welisson
New Contributor III
Hi Stanley,

I'm facing the same problem like you, but in this case my node that has shown failure is node 1(old master), and after receiving the new replacement node, I'm wondering the same question, if I needed enable stacking support before I plug this one on the stack again.

Stanley_Riley_J
New Contributor II
I would like to add a question to this procedure. I have a 2 switch stack and slot 2 has failed. If I just received a replacement switch and take it out of the box, I know that I need to match the XOS and partition, but after that, do I need to enable stacking on it before I try to add it as a replacement? And what would be the procedure for that part?

The procedure linked above makes it seem like you can simply plug a replacement into a stack and enable it from the master node. Am I missing anything here?

Thanks,
Stan

Hi Stanley,

That's exactly right. As long as the EXOS image, partition, license, and stacking protocol match, you can plug it into the existing switch and do the actual stacking config from there.

The only additional change that may need to be done first is enabling stacking-support on any hardware that can be used for either stacking or user traffic (e.g., VIM4-40G4q on the X670V). This would need to be done first, before the switch can communicate with the rest of the stack.

-Brandon
GTM-P2G8KFN