Did you mean: 

ISW 16804 Configuration

ISW 16804 Configuration

Dave_Emery
New Contributor
I am brand new to the Extreme Switch 16804 and I'm not a router guy
Going through doing basic configuration, IP config
Mode - Host or Router ?
Reading through the config guide it says Host mode won't route traffic through any port
Popup Help window is useless
Search for Youtube videos is a total waste of time, frustrated

Can anyone explain which mode this switch should be in, it's purpose is to sit at each end of a wireless link and pass vlans and QinQ

Also how do I specify a gateway for the NTP ?

Dave
18 REPLIES 18

Dave_Emery
New Contributor
There are external routers so no inter-vlan routing would ever occur within the ISW

So the event Log requires a time and date stamp

I have specified the iP address of 2 time servers

Where do I specify the gateway on our management vlan, all of our machines have inband management on a specific vlan and all devices point to that gateway so the NTP can be updated for the log.

I can't leave the Log recording entries dated 1970

BrandonC
Extreme Employee
Hi Dave,

'Router' mode will allow the ISW to route traffic between its IP interfaces (equivalent to 'enable ipforwarding' on all VLANs in an EXOS switch). In 'Host' mode, the ISW will not route traffic between its IP interfaces (so another router will need to exist on the network if traffic is to be forwarded between VLANs).

Based on your description of this use case, it sounds like 'Host' mode is what you want, since you simply want the switch to pass QinQ traffic.

As for your question regarding the gateway, that is set on the same IP page. There is a "Default Gateway" box near the bottom of the page. This is where you would enter the gateway.

Please see the following page for details on the IP Mode and Default Gateway:
http://documentation.extremenetworks.com/industrial_switches/web_config/Industrial_Switching/Web_Use...

-Brandon

Dave_Emery
New Contributor
You're way back, I've already logged in thru the GUI, and set 2 NTP server iP's in the list
I've changed vlan 1 iP and added another management vlan and set an iP for it as well

In order for the NTP to try an update, it requires a gateway address such as 192.168.1.254 as an example, where is this set in the device

My 2nd question pertains to the question at the top of the IP page, HOST or ROUTER mode for the device, there is a choice, pick one.

I will have 2 of these switches, one on each end of a wireless link, each having a static iP for inband management on a management vlan

The switches will pass a variety of vlans with QinQ

Tripathy__Priya
Extreme Employee
Hey Dave,

Welcome to HUB for your participation.
I can see here you are talking about the Industrial switch for its desired mode to be placed in and setting up gateway for the NTP.

Basically these ISW devices can have two way of access either via GUI or CLI mode. When you consider them to be implemented for any configuration set up then it would be wise to put them under config mode always.

Coming to setup the gateway for NTP you can either login to the device using its default ip address and log in credential to get into GUI mode where you can find the tab configuration under which there is NTP option available to configure your gateway as server else you can achieve them using cli mode as well:

ntp server <1-5> ip-address Description Set NTP server address.

Syntax:

ntp server <1-5> ip-address { | | }
Parameter

Name Description
<1-5> index number

Type: Mandatory
Server name

GTM-P2G8KFN