Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mlag configuration and isc link

Mlag configuration and isc link

Gabriele_Stella
New Contributor
Hello,
i'm going to configure an MLAG between two BD8806 and two cisco fiber channel switch.

At finally i will have something like this:

7ef13f758d35469d874512da50b6dc44_RackMultipart20170508-128722-3afq1l-mlag_inline.png

Actually the two BD are interconnected with two interface 10gb in lacp static.

Can i use this link to perform the ISC?
In this link i have a lot of vlan and STP per vlan stp, it's a problem? I need to create a stpd for ISC too?

I have read that in the ISC link i should not have any STP...

I need to perform a dedicated link for ISC??

Thank you,

Gabriele.
8 REPLIES 8

Gabriele,

An ISC is needed in order for MLAG to function properly. I believe what Edward is trying to say is you do not need to worry about a loop on the ISC VLAN because you are only adding one port on BD1 and one port on BD2. STP needs to be removed so it does not block the ISC. By design the two MLAG peers and the MLAG clients (aka the cisco switches) will prevent a loop from happening. If you have other switches that will not be participating in MLAG but will be connected to one of the MLAG peers you will need to worry about loops on those devices only.

So, i don't need a new dedicated link only for ISC vlan..

Gabriele_Stella
New Contributor
Ok, so nothing happens if i create a new dedicated vlan without STP in this link with other STP existent? Because my fear its if this can create a loop? In theory not...

I was thinking to do this configuration :
CORE A

create vlan isc
configure vlan isc tag 10
configure vlan isc add port 3:1 tagged
configure vlan isc ipaddress 10.10.10.1/30

create mlag peer core_b
configure mlag peer core_b ipaddress 10.10.10.2

CORE B
create vlan isc
configure vlan isc tag 10
configure vlan isc add port 3:1 tagged
configure vlan isc ipaddress 10.10.10.2/30

create mlag peer core_a
configure mlag peer core_a ipaddress 10.10.10.1

Thanks,

Gabriele.

Edward_Tsui
Extreme Employee
Yes, surely you can use those two 10G links to be ISC. You need to create a dedicated VLAN on those 10G(In LAG) to be ISC and get rid of any STP as you don't need STP in MLAG design
GTM-P2G8KFN