cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Swapping stacking ports without blowing away config

Swapping stacking ports without blowing away config

Tom_Taylor
New Contributor II
I've currently got 5 X450-G2's in a daisy chain stack (Bad I know) using the front 10GB ports.

I've got the SFP passive cables for the "S1/2" ports on the back of the switch but I wanted to know if there's any easy way of swapping the stacking ports without having to rebuild the stack?

# show stacking
Stack Topology is a Daisy-Chain
Active Topology is a Daisy-Chain
Node MAC Address Slot Stack State Role Flags
------------------ ---- ----------- ------- ---
*00:04:96:9a:26:e7 1 Active Master CA-
00:04:96:99:ee:b3 2 Active Standby CA-
00:04:96:9a:27:10 3 Active Standby CA-
00:04:96:9a:26:e2 4 Active Standby CA-
00:04:96:9a:27:80 5 Active Standby CA-
* - Indicates this node
Flags: (C) Candidate for this active topology, (A) Active Node

# show stacking-support

Stack Available Ports

Port Native Alternate Configured Current

----- ----------------- ---------- ----------

1 Yes 51 * Alternate Alternate

2 Yes 52 * Alternate Alternate

stacking-support: Enabled N/A

Flags: * - Current stack port selection

10 REPLIES 10

Thanks for the clarification.

That is an interesting idea which is why I starting watch the thread. I would need to lab this up to know for sure how things will go.

But as I stated above you at least need makes changes to the stacking-support configuration and I don't think you can do that while they are stacked.

I think you will want to save the config as a script or as a session output or both. Blow it away with unconfigure switch all which I believe will default the stacking parameters to the native (rear) stack ports. You would then plug in the qsfp+ cables and configure stacking easy-setup.

Once the stack is rebuilt I believe you can dump the original config back onto the stack and be operational. You will then just need to configure ports 51 and 52 before you can use them as they wont have any config on them since they were stack ports in the original stack.

Again, I have not labbed this up, I will if I get a chance but am not sure if that will happen today.

Thanks,

That's exactly what I'm wanting to do  move from the front stacking ports to the back

Patrick_Voss
Contributor
Hello Tom,

If you are just swapping a cable the stacking configuration will not be lost. This procedure would be easier in a ring topology because the blocked ports will become unblocked and all the nodes will remain up. Depending on which cable you are pulling it might be in your best interest to power down the nodes below that cable, make the swap and then power up each node one at a time.

Currently plugged in (I did it live a few days ago) and it didn't "swap". Prob just needs a reboot

In that case if the unused stacking ports are already configured then you should be able to just plug them in and everything will work.
GTM-P2G8KFN