cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless - Location Issues

Wireless - Location Issues

Ryan_Reb
New Contributor
Hello. Our current setup is we have two CS-4110 wireless controllers that manage all of our AP's. They are a mix of AP3610's and AP3715i's in 20 different building locations across the city. Each location has it's own DHCP scope. We have 3 wireless SSID networks that are configured via tagged vlan traffic that all route back to a central DHCP server. One is a guest network that gives only webpage access and then two enterprise networks that give access to our network (one giving N level wireless and the other still on G). The two Enterprise SSID's pull addresses from the same scope and the Guest is on it's own. All SSID's are names the same at each location with the same psk's. This means we can travel to any site and have access to the wireless network.

We are starting to run into an issue in our school district where we take a device to one location, like a school, it connects no problem to the network but when if we travel to a different site, the device (like my windows 7 pro laptop and my iphone 5s) see the networks but will not join automatically. They just sit trying to connect. However, here's the weird thing, if we join the device to our Guest network and then back to the Enterprise, then it works. We've tried doing a ipconfig release, tried rebooting the device, powering completely off and even deleting the wireless sites from the computer and then rejoining for the first time. It will not join the Enterprise network until we manually tell it to join Guest, allow it to connect and then tell it to join Enterprise, then it works.

This issue started mostly with Apple devices like iPads and iPhones but now it's starting to affect Windows 7 laptops. We've checked our DHCP scopes and DNS records but can't find any issues.

We'd really appreciate suggestions. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you.

11 REPLIES 11

Ronald_Dvorak
Honored Contributor
is it the same topology/VLAN/IP subnet for both buildings ?

Luis_Mendes
Contributor
HI

I have a customer with 700 aps on a campus, and when the customer move from one building to other and lose the conection with ap and when move to another build reconnect, and stop the traffic... Its necessary manually reconect.
The time between move from one site to another is 2,3 minutes and connection is lost. ANy idea??

The Inter-wlan is enabled..

Javier_Solis
New Contributor
The inter-WLAN roaming feature works well for us since we are bridging at the controller. This allows users that may be able to roam across short distance buildings to seamlessly roam. Again, this works for us because we bridge all our VNS's back to the controller. We do however don't want to exhaust our IP pools for users in one VNS as they may stay on one VNS topology while roaming, so we lowered the idle pre/post WLAN service timeout.

Ryan_Reb
New Contributor

Hello. Yes it is resolved now. Disabling the Inter-WLAN roaming fixed it. Thank you for your help.
GTM-P2G8KFN