cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Default gateway on VSP not working after reboot of default gateway

Default gateway on VSP not working after reboot of default gateway

BRMS
New Contributor II

We are using an SPBM-Cloud of 4 VSP 8600 as our Backbone. Two of them are connected to a layer 2 transport net in which the firewall is used as default gateway. last week we had a power shortage and a few weeks ago i rebooted the firewall at night. both times the VSP stopped using the firewall as gateway. clients that tried to ping something behind the firewall got an “time to life exceeded” error. The VSPs itself were able to ping devices behind the firewall.

By using different VRFs on the VSPs we are creating different security domains. all other VRFs didn’t suffer from that problem although they get routed by the same firewall, albeit another IP.

the solution to the problem was deleting the route and recreating it.

this is the route we are using:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 172.28.2.1 weight 1 preference 5

show ip route
************************************************************************************
        Command Execution Time: Mon Jun 08 12:42:44 2020 CEST
************************************************************************************
=====================================================================================================
                                       IP Route - GlobalRouter
=====================================================================================================
                                                     NH                      INTER   
DST             MASK            NEXT                 VRF/ISID         COST   FACE     PROT AGE TYPE PRF
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.0.0.0         0.0.0.0         172.28.2.1           GlobalRouter     1      135      STAT 0   IB   5

this is the routing table on one of the VSPs that is not directly connected to the firewall:

show ip route
        Command Execution Time: Mon Jun 08 12:40:27 2020 CEST
                                       IP Route - GlobalRouter
                                                     NH                      INTER   
DST             MASK            NEXT                 VRF/ISID         COST   FACE     PROT AGE TYPE PRF
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.0.0.0         0.0.0.0         pik                  GlobalRouter     10     4051     ISIS 0   IBSE 7  
0.0.0.0         0.0.0.0         kreuz                GlobalRouter     10     4051     ISIS 0   IBSE 7  
0.0.0.0         0.0.0.0         pik                  GlobalRouter     10     4052     ISIS 0   IBSE 7  
0.0.0.0         0.0.0.0         kreuz                GlobalRouter     10     4052     ISIS 0   IBSE 7  

What could possibly be the reason for this strange behavior?

6 REPLIES 6

schuert
New Contributor III

isis redistribution is enabled. both connected VSP have the firewall as default router and have rsmlt enabled. the other 2 VSP know of the default route via route redistribution.

since after the fw-uplink drops for 2 seconds the routing doesn’t work anymore for connected clients, but the VSP are still able to use the default gateway to reach systems behind the fw our partner guesses, that this could be a bug in the hardware routing table.

since the cli get routed in software and is able to use the gw, but the hardware routing table used by connected clients is not, this would be fitting. recreating the default route or resetting the gigabitethernet interfaces fixes the problem, which also causes an update of the hardware routing table.

as far as i remember the error appeared after we updated to version 6.3.4. at the moment we are using 6.3.5 with the same problems.

EDIT: btw. this is my personal account, im the OP.

Chi
New Contributor II

Is the firewall pointing to 172.28.2.2 as its next hop for the networks in question?

Shot in the dark, do the routes match on all four VSP8600s?  Going to need to do ISIS redistribution of static and direct routes between the four of them.

BRMS
New Contributor II

thx for the info, ill keep you updated. btw. the problem was the same with version 6.3.3.0, after the first occurrence i updated the systems in the hopes this will solve the problem, which it unfortunately didn’t.

Martin_Sebek
New Contributor III

I don’t have an experience with 6.3.4.0.  Running 6.3.3.0 everywhere and I haven’t seen such a behavior.  Configuration looks fine from what you’ve showed.

I would recommend you to open a case.  It looks like the issue is pretty easy to reproduce so it should not be a problem for Extreme to look onto it.  I am interested in further information about this issue as we are using similar setup.  Would you please keep us updated?

GTM-P2G8KFN