cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does disabling LACP affect service?

Does disabling LACP affect service?

IgorN
New Contributor
Hi all, I tried to continue existing similar topic but perhaps it is better to start a new one.
I have 2x VSP7200 stacked switches connected with 4x10G ports in a LAG to a Cisco VHS cluster, at Cisco end it is a single PortChannel. Now we need to add new VLANs to this LAG and for that we have to disable and re-enable LACP on both VSP switches. Is this service-affecting? Obviously it will happen out of hours, but if it is affecting then the change window and amount of regression testing on the apps side, and overall perceived risk will be much larger.
Thanks!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

EXTR_Paul
Extreme Employee
Yes.

however I would still do this inside a maintenance window.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

IgorN
New Contributor
For those who will find this topic later, in real change we observed TCP links re-established between the two sides of the LAG, 4 links in the group were brought down two after two. Not sure though why this happened, TCP should be tolerant to the network connectivity gap whithin LACP convergence.time

EXTR_Paul
Extreme Employee
??

If it was all SPBm or MLT/SMLT it would be a different story. I have customers that would do that change in the middle of the day. However, from my experience LACP failover is not sub-second.

IgorN
New Contributor
Great, thanks! As I said, this will be out of hours, obviously during scheduled maintenance window.

EXTR_Paul
Extreme Employee
Yes.

however I would still do this inside a maintenance window.

IgorN
New Contributor
Thanks Paul! Do you think this sequence is viable to avoid service interruption?
VSP-1: shutdown 2 interfaces > (LAG works on 2 links on VSP-2) > disable LACP > add VLANs > enable LACP > enable interfaces
VSP-2: shutdown 2 interfaces > (LAG works on 2 links on VSP-1) > disable LACP > add VLANs > enable LACP > enable interfaces
GTM-P2G8KFN