cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does disabling LACP affect service?

Does disabling LACP affect service?

IgorN
New Contributor
Hi all, I tried to continue existing similar topic but perhaps it is better to start a new one.
I have 2x VSP7200 stacked switches connected with 4x10G ports in a LAG to a Cisco VHS cluster, at Cisco end it is a single PortChannel. Now we need to add new VLANs to this LAG and for that we have to disable and re-enable LACP on both VSP switches. Is this service-affecting? Obviously it will happen out of hours, but if it is affecting then the change window and amount of regression testing on the apps side, and overall perceived risk will be much larger.
Thanks!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

EXTR_Paul
Extreme Employee
Yes.

however I would still do this inside a maintenance window.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Roger_Gravelle
Extreme Employee
For future reference, in the past on certain platforms disabling LACP on a link was the only way it was possible add or remove a VLAN from an active LACP LAG. However, this had been changed on recent VSP/VOSS code (sometime in the 5.x timeframe I believe).

You have probably already found that you cannot add a vlan to active ports on an active LACP link but you can add the VLAN to the MLT.

To add a VLAN to an active LACP link you can add it to the MLT ID that the LACP key is bound to. Example:To add VLAN 99 to MLT 1 you enter "vlan mlt 1". If you run the 'show running-config' command after this you will see the vlan was added to the individual ports. This can be done without having to disable the link or LACP on the link. Please understand that if there are any inactive links that are members of the LACP link at the time you run this you must also add the vlan directly to the inactive port (vlan member add 99 1/1) as described above.

EXTR_Paul
Extreme Employee
@IgorN as mentioned, LACP failover is not sub-second.

IgorN
New Contributor
Hi Paul, I planned this change and it was executed by other people, they told me that they followed the script, but I can 't assure you. In the aftermath, I saw TCP teardown and re-establishment in the application logs which coincided with the change window.

EXTR_Paul
Extreme Employee
@IgorN are you saying that when you took down two links of the 4 link LACP/MLT you lost connectivity?
GTM-P2G8KFN