Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Enabling DVR without leaf node, and why it reserves VLANs 3500 to 3998

Enabling DVR without leaf node, and why it reserves VLANs 3500 to 3998

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI

In the process of building a small network across three DC locations. Each DC is using 2x VSP4900’s in each location as a RSMLT cluster. Intend on using DVR  across each of the sites, predominantly based on the details provided in the Automated Campus Extreme Evaluated Design.

Questions are:

1. We are only using DVR controllers, no leaf nodes. is DVR still Ok to use in this scenario
  2. When I enable the vrf-scaling boot flag, which I’m prompted to do when entering the command ‘dvr controller 100’ you get the following message:
Warning: Vlan 3500 to 3998 will be reserved for internal use.

Warning: Vrf-scaling boot flag is enabled on DVR Node, make sure it is enabled
on all DVR Nodes in domain.

Warning: Please save the configuration and reboot the switch
for this configuration to take effect.

Do you know if that’s normal? This is potentially a problem pinching those VLAN ID’s that could already be in use i.e. doing a migration or certainly good to know prior to building the network.

Do you know why it needs them and why it reserves so many?

Many thanks,

Martin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Miguel-Angel_RO
Valued Contributor II

Martin,

Per documentation:”On switches that support the vrf-scaling and spbm-config-mode boot configuration flags, if you enable these flags, the system also reserves VLAN IDs 3500 to 3998”

So, yes it is normal.

the why is because the system needs to reserve resources and the memory an CPU is limited.

So cannibalising the other resources is a way to achieve a higher number of VRFs (requiring a higher number of resources).

If the VLANs already exists elsewhere, you can map them in an I-SID and change the VLAN id in your core 33cd8dc03e50452bb07b5cb3d8345ace_1f609.png

Mig

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks guys, this has help loads, in either situation.

I’m actually only using 3 VRF’s, so in this case I can turn off that flag, keep using those VLANs and continue to use DVR.

That's great, least I now feel well prepared for its use in the future.

Cheers.

Roger_Lapuh
Extreme Employee

Hi Martin

this scaling flag is only needed if you use more than 24 VRFs/L3 VSNs. This applies to DVR as well. You don’t need to set that flag if you have less VRFs.  

The system reserves those VLANs to enable the VRF/L3 VSN scaling function. You would need to make sure they are not used for other applications before you set the flag.

If you need those VLAN numbers on certain ports, you can use the ELAN-Switched-UNI function to configure those VLAN-IDs on ports, but you can’t use them anymore as platform VLANs with CVLAN-UNIs.

Makes sense?

Roger

Miguel-Angel_RO
Valued Contributor II

Martin,

We need a small topology diagram to talk about the same things.

Let’s say that you have a ToR switch with VLAN 3501, you map it in i-sid 993501

On your cores (DVR) you have the VLAN 501 and map it in i-sid 993501

This done, you have the VLAN 501 in the core corresponding to the VLAN 993501 in your ToR.

To check what can be done with your specific infrastructure.

Mig

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Sam,

Sorry, just see your answer pop in. That’s great, DVR question answered. 

Many thanks

GTM-P2G8KFN