Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fabric Implementation

Fabric Implementation

dazza
New Contributor II

Hello! 

I have a new job and one of the first tasks is to implement Fabric Connect. The previous admin had ordered 10 5420 switches (which are onsite)  and I have a design of sorts that has 3 stacks in an EAPs ring (of sorts). Initially I was confused as I expected to have 1 or 2  7720 switches too (SPF aggregation switch) to form a leaf and spine network. 

I understand that stacking can be done only  in pairs via the QSFP slots on the 5420? (therefore a redesign is needed)

I just wanted to run my initial findings by the community as I am confused how a consultation with extreme partners prior to my arrival would result in a triple stacked EAPs ring being purchased.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated as I am about to revert to traditional IP networking solution!

Darren

4 REPLIES 4

dazza
New Contributor II

Sorry should have been clear, it is using the VIST/SMLT clustered pairs inconnecting using the SFP-DD ports. 

Guy on fabric course I  said they tried it and it did not work, will file a case with GTAC Thanks

EF
Contributor II

Hi Dazza,

The 5420 switches are universal hardware so it can be used with two diferents software families:

- EXOS
-VOSS

It can be selected at the first boot or then it can be chage with a special procedure.

If you want to uses stack topology you must run EXOS, VOSS doesnt support stack config.

Best!!!

EF

dazza
New Contributor II

Historic information found is that the documentation states the SFP-DD ports can only be used in VOSS without fabric-connect. 

Others asking about it here 5420 stack ports VOSS : r/ExtremeNetworks (reddit.com)

?

dazza
New Contributor II

I have a redesign for the network using 2 distribution and 6 access switches. It can work if the answer to the following question is yes, can the U1/2 links be used on the 5420 in VOSS to interconnect the distribution switches each 5420 has a 4 SPF for connections? 

GTM-P2G8KFN