Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Limit for VSNs per VRF

Limit for VSNs per VRF

cemcjk
New Contributor II

Hello, 

I was wondering if anyone knew what the limit was for VSNs (whether they are L2VSNs or L3VSNs) per vrf instance on a VSP 7400. I can find the limit of VRRP interfaces per vrf (256) and routing table sizes but can't seem to find the limit on VSNs associated with a vrf. 

Asking specifically because I'm looking to setup Inter-VSN routing (starts at page 1336 of the VOSS User Guide - looking at version 8.8) and part of the configuration is mapping a vlan interface to a vrf for every vlan you want to route traffic between. I'd hate to do this 70 or 80 vlans in, and hit a limit. 

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

This information is incorrect. Current VOSS platforms support up to 256 VRFs, with the vrf-scaling boot flag enabled, and 24 VRFs without that bootflag. The vrf-scaling bootflag reserves platform VLANs in range 3500-3998, which yes are used on an internal loopback, but that always applies, boot flag or not. There is no difference in performance across any of the VRFs. As for SXI1 and virtual port messages none of that rings any bells on VOSS/Fabric Engine.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

WillyHe
Contributor

Hello,

To keep it simple.

- A L2-VSN is assigned to a vlan and has nothing to do with an IP address that is assigned to the same vlan.
Maximum number of L2-VSN's is 4.000 for  a VSP7400.

- A L3-VSN is assigned to a vrf and is used to exchange IP routing information between switches that have the same i-sid id configured on a vrf.
Maximum number of L3-VSN's is 256 for a VSP7400.

All this information is always in the release note of a mayor release in the Fabric Scaling part.
A mayor release is when the first (usually for big changes) or the second (new features release) number changes e.g. 8.0 = big change, 8.8 = new features introduced.
The third and fourth numbers are for bug fix releases.

regards
WillyHe

WillyHe
Contributor

Hello,

Scaling information is in v8.8.0.0 release note.

VSP7400 supports 1.000 IP interfaces (IPv4 and/or IPv6).
VSP7400 supports 256 VRF's (IPv4 and/or IPv6).
VSP7400 supports 500 VRRP interfaces, 256 / VRF.

regards
WillyHe

cemcjk
New Contributor II

WillyHe, 

Thanks for the response; I did see those numbers - so I'm guessing that there is no guidance on the limit of how many IP interfaces or VSNs can belong to a single VRF? That's the answer I was trying to find. 

Thanks

Melli22nger
New Contributor II

VRFs are supported in hardware. The system can support up to 1024 VRFs. Any VRFs above 512 are subject to recirculation, which cuts performance for those VRFs in half. The virtual ports should have no effect in forwarding. Improvements were made in SXI1 such that we no longer even display virtual port messages for linecards. Centura Health Login

Thanks,

GTM-P2G8KFN