cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Managment network across VOSS, BOSS, and EXOS switchs in a Fabric deployment?

Managment network across VOSS, BOSS, and EXOS switchs in a Fabric deployment?

David_Nelson
New Contributor III

Can anyone advise me on setting up a management network for a small campus network with VSP 7200’s as the core, ERS 5900’s (base license) as BEB’s and EXOS switches at the edge. In this deployment there are no BCB’s so I am not worried about avoiding IP on the core. I have been scrubbing through the docs, but I am not finding much to address management across various switches. On the ERS’s I have a C-VLAN set as the management vlan, that gives me management access for the ERS’s and the EXOS switches across the fabric, but I can’t seem to figure out how to get management access to the VSP’s from this management vlan?

I have played around with IP Shortcuts, and can ping the CLIP IP from one VSP to another, but can’t figure out how to reach the CLIP from my management network.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ludovico_Steven
Extreme Employee

The CLIPs are going to be different IP subnets, so if your mgmt station is in the C-VLAN you will need to give each VSP an IP on that same C-VLAN and have routes to them to reach the CLIPs. Or you can forget about the CLIPs and just manage the VSPs from the IP you give them on that C-VLAN. If this is a small network that is fine.

In large fabrics with many VSPs it is usually preferred to manage the VSPs from the CLIPs (which are advertised via ISIS) rather than stretching a L2 CVLAN across the whole network.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

ExtremeNorth
New Contributor III

I would agree that CLIPs are ideal, would there an issue having both the CLIP and the OOB address configured on separate subnets?  The CLIP would be the primary management interface, but if ISIS was down the OOB interface could be used to access the switch.  Would having both affect traffic with XMC, or confuse LLDP/NDP protocols?

David_Nelson
New Contributor III

Thanks guys, your input was very helpful. My management network is working across all switches now just using an IP configured on the management C-VLAN on each of the fabric capable switches. I will experiment with routing from the management VLAN to a CLIP when I get some time to play around in GNS3 again, as for now I am just happy to have this working. Thank you!

Roger_Lapuh
Extreme Employee

For the Fabric Attach connected devices you can announce the management VLAN/ISID from the FA Server to the FA Clients. You could put all switches into the same management ISID.

Roger

EXTR_Paul
Extreme Employee

Like @Ludovico Stevens mentioned,  the CLIPs are ideal because they are routed throughout the fabirc and they are always up. 

But don’t forget that VSPs*  ERS5900s and all EXOS have an out of band mgmt interface.  I am working with one customer right now that just went through a massive upgrade from ERS8600/ERS5520s to VSP8400 Cores and a mixture of ERS5900 and EXOS 465 Edge.  With their left over decommissioned ERS5520s they are going to  make a flat L2 domain between their IDFs just for OoB mgmt. 

So as long as your cabling and IP plan allows it its a good alternative.  Even if you just do it on the VSP7200s.  Second,  if you want deploy a full OoB Mgmt network just know the ERS5900 OoB interface is L2 only. 

• VSP 4450 doesn’t have an OoB interface.

Ludovico_Steven
Extreme Employee

The CLIPs are going to be different IP subnets, so if your mgmt station is in the C-VLAN you will need to give each VSP an IP on that same C-VLAN and have routes to them to reach the CLIPs. Or you can forget about the CLIPs and just manage the VSPs from the IP you give them on that C-VLAN. If this is a small network that is fine.

In large fabrics with many VSPs it is usually preferred to manage the VSPs from the CLIPs (which are advertised via ISIS) rather than stretching a L2 CVLAN across the whole network.

GTM-P2G8KFN