Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multicasting with ERS and VOSS

Multicasting with ERS and VOSS

XTRMUser
Contributor

MultiCast Diagram.jpg

Here is the path I want to have for a video multicast. So using IGMP, and this is L2 (vs L3). I put it on a vlan, with an I-Sid. I've turned on snooping and proxy. It appears to be getting lost on the VSP somewhere. I think it's getting lost on the two VSP's that are VIST'd together.

Any special trick, or special commands that I can use to trace or troubleshoot?

Thanks in advance.

Mark

13 REPLIES 13

I don't have any ip vrrp defined in my network, so I'm assuming that I don't need to add those commands/parameters to the "interface vlan" section of my multicast vlan.

Thanks for this. I'll need to do some experimenting. I haven't set up any IP addressing on this vlan. I assumed since it was a L2 network, and I was just passing a (multicast) signal through, I didn't need IP addresses.

EXTR_Paul
Extreme Employee

When working with SPBm and Multicast with mixed network of VSPs and ERSs there are special considerations.  The biggest is that ERSs can't see routed IGMP traffic when running in Fabric L2 mode.  Unless they are in Fabric L3 mode running IPshortcuts. which requires the premier license.

are the ERS's L2 devices or are they enabled for SPBm? I assume because you are using an MLT to the ERS that its L2.

Are you doing any inter-vlan routing?  Or is everything in the same VLAN?

Do you have ip spbm multicast enabled for the gobally and per vlan on the VSP?

Also, what tools are you using to test the multicast??

can recommend using MC Hammer. Its an old NORTEL tool that PELCO still makes available.

https://support.pelco.com/s/article/Using-Multicast-Hammer-1538586730634?language=en_US

Hi Paul,

The ERS's are L2, as you assumed.

No inter-vlan routing. Everything is on the same vlan

I have ip spbm multicast enabled globally. I tried to ip spb-multicast per vlan, but it won't let me, since I don't have an IP address on it.

I haven't used any tools, since I didn't know what tools might be available, either 3rd party or native to VSP/ERS.

This will 100% work, I have made this work all three ways.

• VSPs and ERSs in SPBm mode, everything in one vlan.
  • VSPs in SPBm mode, ERS in normal L2 mode.   SIngle Vlan and Routing on the VSPs
  • VSPs in SPBm mode and ERS as L3 SPBm modes.   All routing.

in your case.

If everything is in the same L2 VLAN domain everything should work as Multicast will get flooded throughout the entire VLAN.

• Can you confirm if the ERS's in SPBm mode or just "normal L2" mode?

If the ERSs are just in normal L2 mode (or SPBm mode) you need to make sure that in the VLAN you are using that "ip igmp snooping" is enabled. 

• Also, on the VSPs do yo have SPBm IP-multicast enabled globally?  Its required at the VLAN and global levels.
  • ALso x2, what version of VOSS are you running on the VSP?  If you are pre- voss 8.8 you need to have an IP address in the VLAN of each VSP.
  • Also x3.  What its the make/model/boss version of the ERSs you are using.  

As for tools.

use the MC Hammer tool I linked to the original reply.   You just need to install it on two windows laptops.   

GTM-P2G8KFN