Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OOB Routing: Accessing OOB from different subnet

OOB Routing: Accessing OOB from different subnet

schuert
New Contributor III

Hi Guys!

A few days ago i updated our vsp 7254 to VOSS Version 8.2. The new version implemented some changes for the management-interfaces/IPs according to:

Our OOB is segmented into different subnets. if im trying to connect from the same subnet the oob-ip belongs to, i can successfully reach the system but i can’t ssh or even ping the oob-ip from the other subnets.

i created the static routes for the different subnets with:

enable
conf t
mgmt oob
ip route 172.28.12.0/24 next-hop 172.28.15.1
ip route 172.28.13.0/24 next-hop 172.28.15.1
ip route 172.28.14.0/24 next-hop 172.28.15.1
exit

the oob-interface has the ip 172.28.15.5/24. how come the interface wont route? is this intentionally?

Best regards,
schuert

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

schuert
New Contributor III

found the error. i pinged and checked ssh from a connected exos switch and forgot to define the from ip, which in turn caused the switch to use its transport subnet ip to ping, which isn’t defined via static route on the vsp.

thanks for helping me to figure out my mistake

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

schuert
New Contributor III

found the error. i pinged and checked ssh from a connected exos switch and forgot to define the from ip, which in turn caused the switch to use its transport subnet ip to ping, which isn’t defined via static route on the vsp.

thanks for helping me to figure out my mistake

Roger_Lapuh
Extreme Employee

This should work. Could it be that the VSP knows the 3 other OOB routes through another inband path as well? Who is the GW of the other 3 subnets? Does this router have the VSP in its ARP table?

schuert
New Contributor III

i have read in the past in some documentation that you shouldn’t set a default route for the management (now oob) interface (at least for the vsp8600), which allows traffic from the data plan to reach the management-interface.

anyways, on my vsp8600 with voss version 6.3 this exact configuration works without the need of a default route. i tried to implement the same on the 7200 with firmware 8.2 and it doesn’t.

i’ll check tomorrow if the interface will be reachable if i add a default route, but for my understanding this shouldn’t be needed and can be considered a bug, if it only works with a default gw?

Miguel-Angel_RO
Valued Contributor II

I confirm that all three interfaces will work at the same time

Mig

GTM-P2G8KFN