cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OSPF for VOSS (VSP7200) to connect Cisco router?

OSPF for VOSS (VSP7200) to connect Cisco router?

jwumcp
New Contributor

Dear all,

We are planning to deploy a VSP 7200 switch and this switch will be connected to a Cisco gateway router. This VSP switch will have multiple subnets/vlans and it will also be connected to multiple access level switches.

I literally have two questions.

1. This VSP has only default license on it. can it support OSPF?
  2. if answer to Q1 is yes, can anyone provide some advice if there is anything I need to know before trying this? Especially I have never tried this between VSP and Cisco. I am relatively familiar with Cisco OSPF routing.

Thank you very much in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

EXTR_Paul
Extreme Employee

yes, match the area ID.  

good chance its 0.0.0.0.  so just replicate that on the VSP.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

EXTR_Paul
Extreme Employee

yes, match the area ID.  

good chance its 0.0.0.0.  so just replicate that on the VSP.

jwumcp
New Contributor

Thank you Paul for providing a simple example.

when I determine the area id, I assume it should use the same area id from the cisco router that it is connected to. However, how can I translate the area id from Cisco router into something like xx.xx.xx.xx? or I am totally wrong about this? the VSP is considered as a ASBR?

EXTR_Paul
Extreme Employee

@jwumcp  SPBm or Shortest Path Bridging is a protocol we use on VSPs to deploy campus Fabrics.  If you have a VSP you should read up on it.  It uses IS-IS as the control plane, if you are routing to OSPF, RIP, BGP you need to do a redistribution.  But it doesn't apply to you today.

The link I showed you abobe will work 100%. 

Here is a config example that will work for you as well.

vlan create 186 type port-mstprstp 0     ////// your routed vlan
vlan i-sid 186 186         /// (optional, as you aren’t running SPBm)

interface Vlan 186
ip address 172.18.6.3 255.255.255.248   ////  So .1 or .2 would be your cisco routed interface
ip ospf enable  //// The default is broadcast.

router ospf
as-bou en
router-id 172.16.40.5
exit
router ospf enable

jwumcp
New Contributor

Thank you Paul for your quick response. I am not familiar with SPBm etc. It is just one single VSP connecting uplink to Cisco router. Pretty much point to point.

GTM-P2G8KFN