cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switch port config for MLT

Switch port config for MLT

damienf
New Contributor

New to setting up MLT and wanted to get some experienced opinions.

We are migrating a security cam server (high bandwidth traffic) from a VM to a physical box.  This server sends data to 2 different NAS devices for viewing/archiving.

Currently the traffic goes through two separate switches into three teamed NICs on each NAS.

Switches each have MLT 10 for NAS A and MLT 11 for NAS B

Switch 1 has two ports in MLT 10 (1/45 and 1/46) going to NAS A.  Port 1/47 is in MLT 11 going to NAS B.

Switch 2 has one port in MLT 10 (1/45) going to NAS A and two ports in MLT 11 (1/46 and 1/47) going to NAS B.

With the new physical server we will have 4 ports divided into two NIC teams.  One pair each will go to Switch 1 and Switch 2.

Again, lack of experience here but we were thinking we would create a new MLT on both switches and apply two ports from each switch (would we want two MLT's?  One for each nic team on the new server?)

Last, would we need to do anything to group these new MLT ports to the existing ones that connect to NAS A and B (all ports are on a separate VLAN that only the security cam traffic uses)?

I have attached a quick diagram of the existing setup prior to us adding the new MLT(s) and connecting the 4 ports from the new server.  Let me know if further info will help.

Thanks!

1 REPLY 1

EF
Contributor II

Hi Damief,

Sorry for my poor english but Im not sure if I understand all the topology, but in general, if you deploy a server is a good practise (my opnion) use dual-homing, if you have two NICs in bounding configuration, each one in separates switches, so if one fails you have another link.

Now, Is necesary some kind of agregation in switches side? It depends that the server´s NIC team, for example, if you have active-passive it doesn´t.

But imagine that your NIC team need agregation in switches side, if you are using nortel/avaya/extreme VOSS or ERS, you must use SMLT (Split Mlt) for dual-homing.

But for config SMLT you need create IST (on ERS) or vIST (on VOSS) (cluster) between both cores.

About add or link to an existing MLT, it is possible but I belive you must disable de MLT before.

Cheers

EF

GTM-P2G8KFN