cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VoSS / Fabric monitoring port statistics

VoSS / Fabric monitoring port statistics

Marc_Daley
New Contributor II

When using the command "monitor ports statistics interface utilization" the provided output doesn't seem to make sense. For example - 

Marc_Daley_0-1715861104253.png

Although we see the IN/OUT octets increasing it doesn't affect the utilisation column. I was expecting something similar to "show ports utilization bandwidth" in EXOS.

Can anyone comment on whether this is correct? Am I just mis-interpreting the command output?

Tried on SW v8.8 & 8.10.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ludovico_Steven
Extreme Employee

The in/out octet counters show cumulative values over a long time or since you last cleared the port stats.

The % util columns are calculated based on increases of the in/out octets over the last monitor interval period = 1 sec for you.

==> The utilization of those interfaces on the last sample that screenshot was taken is virtually null, hence 0%

I can guarantee that those % values do work, just connect a traffic generator and pump line rate, you will see them go to 100%

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Ludovico_Steven
Extreme Employee

The in/out octet counters show cumulative values over a long time or since you last cleared the port stats.

The % util columns are calculated based on increases of the in/out octets over the last monitor interval period = 1 sec for you.

==> The utilization of those interfaces on the last sample that screenshot was taken is virtually null, hence 0%

I can guarantee that those % values do work, just connect a traffic generator and pump line rate, you will see them go to 100%

Thanks Ludovico. I realised I was looking at throughput that was too low. It was a 10gbps interface with around 80mbps utilisation so not being picked up as it was less than 0. Didn't help that I'd managed to pick the most underutilised set of switches onsite.

GTM-P2G8KFN