cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VoSS version Mismatch the BCB & BEB and implications for Multicast

VoSS version Mismatch the BCB & BEB and implications for Multicast

Larry_S
New Contributor

A VSP supported campus requires an Upgrade.
The Campus is highly utilising multicast traffic.
Looking for information on Multicast traffic traversing the Fabric when the BCB and BEB are running differing Voss version for a period of time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

EXTR_Paul
Extreme Employee

Hi Larry. 

I recently went through this with a few other customers. 

I would not upgrade your cores all the way to v7.1.9, then try to upgrade the edge switches.

I am sure it will work, but there is no knowing how a vIST core running v7.1.9 is going to behave when all the edge switches are still running v4.X.  I can assure you that no one has tested that. 

Extreme engineering does regression testing, but not 7 years of regression testing. 

I would do the following

Upgrade the core to v5.1.X, then all the edge switches to v5.1.X.   Make sure everything is stable.

Then upgrade Core to v6.1.X. and Edge to v6.1.X.   Make sure everything is stable.

Then do the final v7.1.X for the core and edge.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Larry_S
New Contributor

Paul / Miguel

Thank you for you assistance in the matter. 

much appreciated.

Larry_S

EXTR_Paul
Extreme Employee

Hi Larry. 

I recently went through this with a few other customers. 

I would not upgrade your cores all the way to v7.1.9, then try to upgrade the edge switches.

I am sure it will work, but there is no knowing how a vIST core running v7.1.9 is going to behave when all the edge switches are still running v4.X.  I can assure you that no one has tested that. 

Extreme engineering does regression testing, but not 7 years of regression testing. 

I would do the following

Upgrade the core to v5.1.X, then all the edge switches to v5.1.X.   Make sure everything is stable.

Then upgrade Core to v6.1.X. and Edge to v6.1.X.   Make sure everything is stable.

Then do the final v7.1.X for the core and edge.

Miguel-Angel_RO
Valued Contributor II

Hi Larry,

The VSP4.2 is the first release shipped with the boxes…768a12509e43487da4c83efa9aaeef1f_1f632.png

Multicast i-sid are announced by ISIS, so no service interruption should be seen unless you reboot the switch hosting the multicast source or receiver.

If the multicast is routed, the service will be kept if the default gateway is reachable for the sender/receivers

When rebooting the switch hosting the sender, you’ll obviously impact the trafic for everybody.

When rebooting the switch hosting the sender, you’ll impact the trafic for the hosted receivers.

Mig

GTM-P2G8KFN