cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Configuring command authorization using Windows Radius

Configuring command authorization using Windows Radius

Forrest_Darst
New Contributor
Has anyone successful setup command Authorization through a windows radius server?

I'm using NPS on Server 2012 and would like to start adding command that our tech can use. So far I can only grant Admin or User access through Radius. I found the documentation for setting this up through FreeRadius, but I can't seem to get it working with Windows.

11 REPLIES 11

digiwar
New Contributor
Yes, that's basically where I got stuck as well 🙂

Ronald_Dvorak
Honored Contributor
OK, might be that I'm wrong.

In the Extreme XOS Concept Guide 15.4 they talk about "Configuring Command Authorization"...

"If command authorization is disabled, the user has full access to all CLI commands.
If commandauthorization is enabled, each command the user enters is accepted or rejected based on the content of the profiles file on the RADIUS server.
For more information on RADIUS server configuration for command authorization, see Configuring Command Authorization (RADIUS Profiles)."

Unfortunately the link to "see Configuring Command Authorization (RADIUS Profiles)." in the document isn't working so I haven't found a configuration example.

-Ron

digiwar
New Contributor
Yes, I'm starting to think it might not be possible.
But then what is the point of the Extreme VSAs 201 and 202, i.e. Extreme-CLI-Authorization & Extreme-Shell-Command?

Ronald_Dvorak
Honored Contributor
AFAIK that is not possible with Windows RADIUS.
Normaly that kind of different command level access is done with TACACS.

-Ron

digiwar
New Contributor
Hi,

No, not really. Administrator access is not the issue.
I want a specific user to have the right to only specific commands, specifically 'show configuration'.

Best regards,
Daniel
GTM-P2G8KFN