Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XOS: netlogin on sharing ports

XOS: netlogin on sharing ports

M_Nees
Contributor III
Hi extreme-networks folks,

i want to get some ideas and statements regarding the need of the following feature:

"netlogin on sharing ports"

currently this is not possible (on XOS, EOS support that)!

To attach a server redundant to a switch i use sharing. To authenticate and for documentation issues i use Authentication (netlogin). So from my point of view is very clear to use both feature on the same port. But currently this is not possible.

What do you think about that ?

14 REPLIES 14

Do you use LACP for the forming of sharing groups? What is the RADIUS server? Is it FreeRadius?

M_Nees
Contributor III
To achieve simple visibility i need ip addresses or better usernames - a mac does not tell me easily which user or system is connected.

Is the visibility information you need simply MAC address, and possibly IP address?

dflouret
Extreme Employee
Matthias,

Network login is a security feature thought to secure access to the network from ports accessible to normal employees and visitors, to make sure nobody can gain access to the network by simply plugging a device in an empty port.

Servers, on the other hand, tend to be grouped in protected environments (datacenters) with ports not available to visitors or normal employees. Datacenters have their own security measures that don't include networks login.

I imagine that network login would be disruptive in the current virtualized datacenter, where VMs can be moved from one physical server/network port to another without the VM knowing it is being moved. Because of this, the datacenter network has to include tools (e.g. Data Center Manager) to make sure that the destination port has the same configuration as the original port. If the VM is unaware of it being moved to a new port, how would it re-negotiate access through Network Login?

I don't know how easy/difficult it is to enable this, but you can always work with GTAC and your local SE to make a feature request.

M_Nees
Contributor III
No other opinion? Nobody who agree with me that this is useful ?
GTM-P2G8KFN