cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2.4Ghz high latency solutions

2.4Ghz high latency solutions

Diederik_Kuijpe
New Contributor III
I'm currently experiencing some issues with our wireless network I could use some help with figuring out a solution.

The situation is as follows:

I've two EW C25s and 60 AP-3825is. About every classroom, office and common area has an AP. I've the following configured:

The main wlan SSID (2.4+5ghz) is bridged at the AP and connects to internal resources.
The guest network (2.4+5ghz) is a captive portal bridged at the C25 and forwarded to the gateway.
The BYOT network (2.4+5ghz) is RADIUS auth bridged at the C25 and forwarded to the gateway.
The Chromebook network (5ghz) is bridged at the C25 and forwarded to the gateway.

For the most part this work out fine, but recently I noticed a massive increase in latency on the 2.4ghz main network. This is causing problems with new teacher laptops (2.4ghz b/g/n only adapters in them I'm afraid). Pings between 500-2000ms, and terrible upload speeds. It's causing severe disruptions.

What are some things I should check? I have a feeling this is part configuration and part hardware incompatibility. Does anyone recognize this situation?
18 REPLIES 18

I've it disabled because there are far too many issues with it in my opinion - either bug related or because the WLAN adapter of the clients can't deal with it and behaves in a strange way.

]http://www.extremenetworks.com/search/?_ga=1.113200580.1562969531.1460041509#q=addba&t=All&s...

I know I'll loose some functionality but I prefer a working network even that result in a minor waste of bandwidth 🙂

Ronald, do you not notice lower throughput on your wireless network with ADDBA and A-MPDU disabled? That's essentially taking away the major improvements in 802.11n standard. I'm assuming you did that for simplicity sake back in the days of the bad firmware and the little yellow ! of doom.

Ronald_Dvorak
Honored Contributor
Troubleshooting 101 = isolate the problem

- does it happen 24/7 or only during peak hours
- how many clients are connected to the system and/or per AP
- software version
- what did you ping ?

"For the most part this work out fine, but recently I noticed a massive increase in latency on the 2.4ghz main network."
So it happen only in the SSID main and not on the other ones ? That sounds weird and doesn't indicate a issue with channel interference.

There are not enough information to give you any advice at this point beside that you'd need to isolate it more to search in the right direction.

I inherited this network and the NetSight server install is not working properly. Thus far I've been unable to update the firmware on anything Extreme (inventory manager can't find any new firmware and I can't download them manual from extreme). It's on my to do list.

Adding usb wireless adapters isn't an option. I and the teachers are pretty unhappy with the current amount of stuff they already need to plug in (HDMI/USB to touch board/USB to document camera/flashdrives etc). I've run plain Cat-5 to every laptop until I can resolve the wireless issues, yet another thing to plug in. I'd much rather blanket replace the internal mini PCI-E bgn realteks for intel AC adapters. I'm going to try and swap the chip from a derelict I have laying around.

I wasn't part of the organization when purchasing decision for the laptops were made (though I wish I was), I just need to deal with the implementation now.

Another thing to think about would be to add USB wireless adapters to the 2.4ghz only devices. Since the devices are teacher devices, one would hope they wouldn't continually go missing. Just remember an 802.11ac adapter will need a USB 3 port to get 802.11ac speeds.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WT80LPK/ref=twister_B01EMS6TVE?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

GTM-P2G8KFN