Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ap with 5 GHz (Clients) plus flexible 2,4/5Ghz Interface for RADAR

Ap with 5 GHz (Clients) plus flexible 2,4/5Ghz Interface for RADAR

htw
New Contributor III
Hi,
some weeks ago I saw a presentation for an access point in the market with a 5 GHz Interface and a second Interface were you can configure it to be 2.4GHz or 5 GHz. The manufacturer was like "in future wifi will all be 5 Ghz and 2.4 GHz is legacy and so its more future proof".

Customers will still have the demand for 2.4 GHz for the next years. But since more clients change to 5 GHz, the lower coverage range of 5 GHz and only 3 or 4 nonoverlapping 2.4 GHz channels, many customers have a dense AP network with several APs where 2.4 GHz interface is deactivated.

What if I could use such a unnused interface for RADAR on future APs? Using extra APs for RADAR functionality has the disadvantage of higher cost (extra AP, switch port, cable sockets). With an AP with an 5 Ghz interface and an flexible interface, the customer could use one interface for 5 GHz clients and the other interface can do RADAR operations in 2.4 and 5 GHz (of course alternating).

I know that one needs only one RADAR AP for about five regular APs but having more RADAR-enabled APs would gives more precise location information when triangulating the position of rogue APs. What do you think about it?
5 REPLIES 5

James_A
Valued Contributor
I would rather an AP with a single 5GHz radio. A couple of reasons for this - 5GHz performance is very distance-dependent, so needs more APs (albeit with more cabling costs). The other is that it would have a lower power usage and could be 4x4:4 MU-MIMO but still fit into 802.3af.

htw
New Contributor III
Thank you very much. 🙂

Umut_Aydin
Extreme Employee
I wanted start a discussion so that's clear to all and also for me.
I agree. It's now a Product Management decision.

thanks
Regards
Umut

htw
New Contributor III
Yes, one can use AP3801i if one does not need 2.4Ghz interface. But then the RADAR requirement is not fulfilled. If one needs RADAR, he has to install an additional AP which causes extra costs. Thats why I make this proposal for a possible future-product.

Imagine a possible AP3825i-successor with one fixed 5 GHz interface and a flexible 2.4/5 GHz interface (like the one in AP3801i). The customer can now use the flexible interface in desired frequency OR switch it to RADAR mode (licenced on EWC) which would make the flexible interface unavailable to clients because now it scans all channels one after another (alternating between 2.4 and 5 GHz).

So customer has Radar AND the desired "more 5 than 2.4 GHz interfaces"-ratio without the need of builing additional cablings and switch port usage. Of course this AP could cost a bit more than a standard dual interface AP but in most cases it will be still cheaper than the other costs.
GTM-P2G8KFN