cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lenovo Chromebooks spontaneously rebooting when roaming - Identifi 3825/3935 network

Lenovo Chromebooks spontaneously rebooting when roaming - Identifi 3825/3935 network

Keith_Obermeier
New Contributor II
Recently Upgraded network to AC. Using 3825 and 3935 APs on a 10.31.03.0012 v2110 controller, NAC based portal, bridge at AP topology. Wired transport on Extreme/Enterasys switches. We are finding that any Lenovo N22 chromebook running ChromeOS 59 or higher will experience kernel panic reboots when in vicinity of specific locations in the building. I have multi-edited all of the APs in the related regions of the building and made certain that they all are configured identically.

We have been reformatting the chromebooks (2000 of them) to ChromeOS to mitigate the problem. Obviously there is a bug in CrOS v59 and v60 causing this, but I can't explain why there are locations in the building we can go to and repeatably reproduce the problem. I kid you not, walk down the hallway holding a Chromebook, and as soon as you enter Mrs. Jones's classroom your Chromebook is going to crash, and keep on crash-looping on reboot until you walk away. Needless to say, Mrs. Jones is getting pretty frustrated!

As an aside, the Wifi nic in these is a Intel 7265. CrOS 58 released in early summer. Soon after CrOS 58 Intel released a nic update (19.60) that addressed a bug related to loss of network when roaming. If CrOS builds with the Intel driver 58 and 59 would likely have this code.

There is light at the end of the tunnel, in that the beta channel v61 CrOS appears to be more stable. But who wants to migrate 2000 chromebooks to a beta channel? Me neither.

I have a bug report opened with Google (https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=765424). My best guess is that the crashes happen in locations where roaming would be more likely, but that is a *guess*. Anyone have any suggestions for what to look for on the wifi side that can cause location based OS crashes?

11 REPLIES 11

Keith_Obermeier
New Contributor II
v61 ChromeOS resolves

Jacob__Praveen
Extreme Employee
Is this issue still persistent? Is there a case open with GTAC yet to address any configuration errors that you may have missed? If a case has still not been opened, can you tell me what you see in the end-system events on the v2110 as this Chromebook connects?

Diederik_Kuijpe
New Contributor III
Google support claims the fix is deployed with v61, but didn't provide any details. I'll see if I can get some more information.

Diederik_Kuijpe
New Contributor III
Google Cloud support #13698838
GTM-P2G8KFN