Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overlap channel with my own APs

Overlap channel with my own APs

Florian006
New Contributor

Hi community,

I just got hands on a V2110 controller, and all this wifi stuff are pretty new for me. I have some interrogations about radio interference, i’ve started a “on-demand backgroud Scan” and found out that it seems a lot of interference (users are complaining of poor performances).

On the Radio A/C i have on some AP a lot of Overlapping, according to the documentation this is the worst interference we can get.

I wonder why most of these Overlapping interference come from near APs that are managed by my controller…

19120afcf82d4cc5a2a7c4220b54faa2_fa982b02-6cfb-47f7-bd72-4ec93ad844e5.png

AP name column are mine too :

19120afcf82d4cc5a2a7c4220b54faa2_e9681b5b-52e7-456f-b455-254ef24ddf35.png

Is the controller supposed to deal with AP frequencies in order not to disrupt each others 

or i may missing something..

Thank you for your help on this !

Florian

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Gareth_Mitchell
Extreme Employee

Hi

It looks like you are using 80Mhz channel width and non-DFS channels only, this gives only 1 free 80Mhz channel.  80Mhz isn’t generally recommended, used 20Mhz or maybe 40Mhz if using DFS channels.

https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/How_To/How-to-create-a-5GHz-WiFi-Channel-Plan/

-Gareth

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Jan_Reister
Contributor

Hi RJCU, regarding 2.4 Ghz in Europe we find that 3-channels plan (1,6,11) is more fitting because:

- neighboring APs in dense urban centers, multitenant buildings;

- wireless printers, cameras on our premises, mostrly operating in 2.4G ch 1-6-11

Rey_Juan_Carlos
Contributor

Hello Florian,

I think that your problem is not DFS channels, your problem is 80mhz, never use it in this evironment.

In 2.4ghz, we prefer 4 channel plan  in Europe (1-5-9-13) disable “b” radio with lower data rates. With this you will win one more channel in 2.4ghz.

In 5ghz, you will have to do your own survey and create your own channel plan manually, with all channels possible (all DFS channels), and when you see DFS problems, change it in tis AP, with this you´ll have more and more channels available.

Always use 20mhz - 40mhz channel width and “min basic rate” for radio in 24mb.

Seth_Bean
New Contributor III

It depends on what sort of clients/environment you are supporting - in Higher Education, we have alot of BYOD and personal devices on our wireless (game consoles, streaming media devices, tablets), so we have more occurrences of devices with poor wireless cards.  Other environments where the devices are mostly company owned, you may have fewer instances.

Florian006
New Contributor

Hi,

thank you very much for your quick and accurate answers !

I changed the channel width to 20 as per the recommendation, also we are not using the DFS channels.

After this change if we still expericen issues i will consider using those UNII-2 channels.

From your experiences, is being not comaptibility with UNII-2 common or quite rare ?

We still keep the 2.4Ghz as redundacy anyway.

Thank you again.

GTM-P2G8KFN