cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scanning barcodes on AP3825i

Scanning barcodes on AP3825i

James_A
Valued Contributor
We've got some new AP3825i's and I'm trying to scan the barcodes with the serial number and MAC addresses on the back to put into our asset system, but our barcode reader just can't read them. Has anyone been able to successfully read the barcodes on the back?
12 REPLIES 12

James_A
Valued Contributor
So I managed to try a Gryphon GD4330 which has a laser but it could only read the barcodes when placed right against the AP at a certain angle with the sensitivity turned up to max. I then got a Gryphon GD4130 which is a CCD sensor model, but has a better resolution. It worked pretty well, although again the CODE128 sensitivity had to be turned to max, and in this case needs to be held about 10cm from the barcode to read. As a side bonus, the GD4130 can also read barcodes from an LCD screen, and is cheaper than laser scanners too.

Drew_C
Valued Contributor III
I typed a response to my comment above and must've forgotten to post it!
When I tested with a different scanner I couldn't get any of the barcodes to work. It was a different Wasp model that I've now forgotten - a CCD sensor. The one I have that works is a laser scanner.

Edit: I just emailed the Wireless PLM team about this. We'll see what they say.

James_A
Valued Contributor
Oops, I misread your original comment and didn't realise you could read the barcodes on the back of the AP below the port indentation. Our scanner is a Symbol LS2208 which is about 5 years old now. Time to see if I can organise the purchase of a new one. Thanks.

Drew_C
Valued Contributor III
I think the problem with the small sticker is that the printed lines don't have enough resolution to be effectively scanned by most readers. I can barely make out separations on some of them. Let me point this thread out to the Product Management team to see if there's any room to increase the size of the printed barcode.

Assuming nothing has changed between the ones I have and yours, the sticker on the back of the AP below the port indention seems to be nicely readable in most scenarios. I'll try it with another scanner model and see what happens.

James_A
Valued Contributor
Yeah, the barcodes on that sticker (there's another sticker on the AP itself, plus a proper label with 2x wired and 2x wireless MAC address barcodes of the same size). I've tried a few APs, my guess is it is because the barcode is too small for the reader I have.

I also have a barcode reader on my phone which can sometimes read the model barcode, but it can't focus close enough to read any others. If it could, then I could use the Aruba AP installer app which would email me a spreadsheet.
GTM-P2G8KFN