cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some users not receiving DHCP address via B@AP, others do ?

Some users not receiving DHCP address via B@AP, others do ?

Dewald_Botha1
New Contributor
HI all, I have an odd problem ~ C35 controller - version 10.11 3805i APs Fresh deployment PSK SSID, Bridged@AP topology Windows DHCP server Allow/Deny filter added The vast majority of users will receive IP addresses from the DHCP server with no problem at all. Some users will not receive an IP address from the server. Upon further inspection we can narrow it down like this : 1 - A user's lease expires, they are assigned a new IP address - this is visible in the DHCP active leases - but the user did not receive this address ? We can delete the lease, release/renew the client, re-associate and still no IP address. (this user had an DHCP address in the morning then they arrived - when the lease renewed, they had an error) 2 - A user comes in the morning, tries to connect and does not receive an IP address. The user(s) has an APIPA address. The user is authenticated to the WIFI The users' PC is in the DHCP allow list The user's PC is released/renewed - no change The user's PC is dissociated and reassociated - no change I have requested the lease to be changed from 8 days, to 8 hours - the client will action this afterhours. DHCP service restarted - issue remains Has anyone seen this issue before ? Any advise on where to check as I checked through logs and setting and it all seems fine. What is interesting is that out of the 100 users, about 80 of them connect to the wifi and this only happens to a random 3-6 users. Not the same users... I appreciate any responses, thanks !
21 REPLIES 21

Laura
New Contributor III
I noticed clients getting 169 addresses from the APs that are on the Foreign controller. Within the last year, our Primary controller filled up with 1000 3605 APs. Then I started installing more APs which would load on the Foreign controller. However, we did remove about 100 APs from the Primary controller which freed up space on the Primary controller. It seems like all the APs I am having 169 clients issues with are the APs that were added to the F-cont, when the primary was full. I found a trouble AP and factory reset it, and deleted it from the F-cont. I then added again, and it came up in the Primary controller, and works fine now.

Laura
New Contributor III
The network time was wrong on both controllers. Once I entered a different NTP server, the APs started working normally. Everything is synced. We have the "Bridged at AP" topology. I still don't understand what the topologies are and how they work with everything else.

Ronald_Dvorak
Honored Contributor
Let me guess..... the topology is bridge@EWC and the VLAN for the topology isn't configured on the switch that connects the 2nd controller 🙂

Troubleshoot: check on the LAN where/if you learn the MUs MAC.

Also check > VNS > Global > Sync Summary.... is everything in sync ?

Joris_Schepers
New Contributor
hello All,

I'm seeing the exact same thing on our wifi network. Any update on this ?
GTM-P2G8KFN