Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android maybe don´t have internet connection

Android maybe don´t have internet connection

juergen_dannewi
New Contributor III

Hi everyone,

I´ve some strange situation with Android Smartphones in our Aerohive/Extreme Network (Mix of AP250 and 305C) environment.
The Android devices itself get´s an valid IP and authenticated to the Wifi but shows the information “maybe don´t have internet connection”.
Actual Workaround: Ping the device. The first 2 packages are lost, but than the device replies and shows connected.
I´ve started this discussion last year, but with Covid-19 the situation stuck.

I´ve also found that we are not the only one with this situation.

I can confirm that DNS port 53 and 853 is open for this dedicated Wifi VLAN on our firewall.
I´ve added the DNS ports for the native VLAN of the APs to this internal DNS server, now.

Does anyone has an idea, if this won´t help, how we could troubleshoot this?

Thankful for every idea!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

juergen_dannewi
New Contributor III

Hi,

I want to send an update about this topic.
We found the root cause for our problem, but I´m unsure how to solve it.
The ARP-cache on our firewall which is also the Gateway for our Guest Network seems to get some wrong information from the Aerohive environment.
The Guest Wifi has a short Lease time on DHCP side (5min, increased to 15min now).
The client itself gets the correct IP from DHCP Server (same VLAN/subnet, Windows Server), but the Firewall still get´s the wrong information after a arp-cache clear.
We deleted the "wrong" client in the IQ Management and cleared the ARP-cache once again and the problem was solved for this device.

We found an option in the "Management Options" called "disable Proxy-ARP":
Would it make sense to activate this option in a Wifi environment?
Arp-Caches are written on the Gateway and Switch devices.

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

juergen_dannewi
New Contributor III
Hi @Sander Devos,

this issue is longer existing in our company and wasn´t fixed on 10.x firmware.
I´m not sure if 305 has older firmware than 10.x but I doesn´t expect that but was also happens on AP250 with older firmware. I was always hoping that a newer firmware will solve the problem.

Our management is still On-Prem. We get the notice that the On-Prem Management will End this year.
We would need to change to Cloud managed solution.

We´ve invested many time in troubleshooting. I can exclude Switch and Firewall, because it happens in different of our facilities with different firewall- or switch-manufacturers.

I fully understand the other topic you linked.
We changed one SSID in the smallest branch of us to another AP developer -> directly working without any troubles.
That´s the reason we are more focused on the AP environment itself to troubleshoot that.

Did you also experienced the situation that device doesn´t get Def. Gateway and DNS in the "Client Trail"?
CKB0BsD8RnCTfk9cYcIG_Def-GW.jpeg

Thanks that you answered to this post!

Maybe some other will follow that a solution will be found.

Best regards

SanderD
New Contributor
Hi @juergen.dannewitz,

We are facing problems with android and some applications : 'Vinted', 'marketplace', 'promopromo', these apps are extremly slow or does not load.
I found another topic about this problem recently on this community and post my question also : 
https://community.extremenetworks.com/question/some-apps-on-android-devices-are-not-responding-ap130#9228913e-10c4-4531-8c4a-9e0f608573b3

I have the same result with 2 different ISP's.
Using the ISP internal WiFi it works, using the SSID from the Extreme Ap's the problem is there...

i read about downgrade to an older Firmware but which is the good one ?

7d5866788dd64743bcbf01aeec231d6c.png

I launched a ticket (02491620) - on 16/12/2021 about this problem..., but as you say with COVID... no further response.
I relaunch this ticket, If i know more or find an solution i will keep you inform on this thread.

Best Regards,

juergen_dannewi
New Contributor III

Hi,

I´ve still have a running ticket in troubleshooting. It´s like that the switch or the AP lost the ARP entry of the Wifi device.
We made several Package traces, send several logs, Tech data, Screenshots, checked DNS, changed to 8.8.8.8 as DNS server, etc.

Last change was to make 6, 12, 24Mbps as basic on all 2,4 and 5Ghz radio profiles, but it doesn´t makes sense to me, because it would also happen on Windows and IOS, which doesn´t.
It happens on AP305C and AP250. Also AX profile was removed and everything is running in g/n or ac.

The only workaround is to ping the device from inside of the network. In most cases, the first 2 packages are lost and than it´s reachable and the device change the mode to "connected".

Do you still have the same situation: Android Device gets an IP from DHCP but no internet?

SanderD
New Contributor
Hi @juergen.dannewitz

Do you have any workaround/update ?
We have the same behavior with AP305c (10.4.6.0) and AP460c (10.4.5.0).

Best Regards,​​

juergen_dannewi
New Contributor III
Additional information:
Management and native VLAN is the same and untagged as the SSID VLAN has a different ID and is tagged.
Maybe it describes the situation more detailed.
GTM-P2G8KFN