cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I make a SSID without a portal or password?

Can I make a SSID without a portal or password?

TomC
New Contributor
O.K. before I get attacked with why you would want to do this, let me explain. Apple devices will automatically connect to a SSID "Apple Store"  when first fired up. We are a school and will be handing out several hundred new devices, I want the device to connect with out needing human intervention. This way the MDM will automatically be able to download the necessary policies to allow the device to connect to our proper device.

So, can I create a wireless SSID that will not require a password or any action. to connect to it?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

RobertZ
Extreme Employee
the short answer is yes

04e02892ec99402eaa97ffe026acb371.png

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

TomC
New Contributor
Thank you for the suggestions.......
To fully disclose....
The dumb open wireless network not secure was solved with the Open network. Dummy me did not think. to scroll right on the options. Anyways, the reason we need this is Apple devices (used to, but not sure now with current chipsets) automatically know to connect to a wireless if it was called "Apple Store". It will only connect first time it is started. This has been perfect for us to get new devices to download our MDM policies and make it a no touch solution for handouts (especially iPads). In testing last week, we had a it might not work as smoothly as before as we had to actually select the wireless. I can work with this.
This network will only be live when we do the initial handout. Thank you all for your suggestions. I also appreciate questioning the security of the setup. You all truly care.
Peace,
Tom

SamPirok
Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager
Hi Tom, just had a thought after reading about your use case here, MAC auth could also work for this and it would be more secure. Since you know the devices you are handing out, if you create a MAC auth SSID, the device will automatically submit it's MAC address as essentially the username and password for the SSID, the end user won't have to enter in or launch anything to connect, and only the devices you hand out will be able to connect to that SSID. This guide reviews how to set this up in XIQ, just in case you're interested.

Stefan_Sleik
New Contributor II
Does this soluton realy worked for your need?

TomC
New Contributor
Funny thing is I did not see open yet the manual online mentions it. I will keep looking! Thank you!
GTM-P2G8KFN