cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dell Wireless 1820A & AP230, only connect at 400Mbps

Dell Wireless 1820A & AP230, only connect at 400Mbps

sebus
New Contributor

Replaced (same physical place, same wifi in laptop)

Zyxel NWA1123-ACv2 with AP230

On 5Ghz connection speed dropped from 768Mbps to only 400Mbps (that is HALF)

Not something I expected.

Played with all the settings available in Connect, no difference, cannot make it nowhere near the same speed.

Anybody has any ideas?

Thanks

sebus

24 REPLIES 24

sebus
New Contributor

Anybody? Or am I the only one with this issue?

sebus

sebus
New Contributor

Latest available for this AP in ExtremeCloudIQ - 10.0.10.2

Tomasz
Valued Contributor II

Hi Sebus,

I’d say we should focus on troubleshooting 80 MHz issue with AP230 then. I’ll try to reproduce the issue to look around the AP logs myself but hopefully someone already fell into that problem before.

Could you please tell us the firmware version currently running on that AP?

Take care,
Tomasz

sebus
New Contributor

It is not urgent. And I do not think for Connect (no license) I will get any support from GTAC...

As stated above, with explicitly specified 80 Mhz in AP radio profile in AP230, I cannot connect at ALL to this network. I can only connect with either 20 or 40

Tomasz
Valued Contributor II

Hi Sebus,

That sounds totally reasonable that you’d like to see the highest achievable data rate for your client device on both, and that is in fact possible for 1820A chipset to reach 866.7 Mbps. We can definitely aim for this in lab environment. I have never had a problem to get it so far on any Extreme APs (IdentiFi/WiNG/XIQ). There is less WLAN chipset manufacturers than WLAN infrastructure/client vendors. Datarate-related components are pretty basic in that terms, so if there are no sw bugs (on either side) or misconfig or bad environment it should work rather similar on any AP/STA equipment pair (assuming same characteristics: MIMO, channel width, RSSI and so on). To be clear, 80 MHz is a must for 866.7 Mbps datarate to be achievable with 2x2 MIMO 11ac device, see here: https://mcsindex.net/

Please let me make perfectly sure about this: is RSSI on the client the same for the signals from both XIQ/Zyxel during testing? Like -50 dBm vs -50 dBm? I’m asking for this as I see some glimpses of ACSP on the XIQ side. Moreover (maybe it’s because of late hour) I don’t see TxP setting on Zyxel. As a good practice, TxP should not be set to maximum and it should not be too low if we aim for both high datarate and effective throughput.

If that potential testing environment issue mentioned above was checked, I would only recommend contacting GTAC so they can assist in narrowing down possible causes with XIQ AP (AP software bug, client device driver issue, RF thing, configuration thing). Or, if it’s nothing urgent, maybe few others will have some food for thoughts as well. @Sam Pirok@Christoph S.@Ovais Qayyum

Hope that helps,

Tomasz

GTM-P2G8KFN