Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Firmware update now getting lost connection notifications

Firmware update now getting lost connection notifications

systemscsn
Valued Contributor

This is a recurring theme here.

I update the firmware on the AP's, and for weeks and months i get emails that AP "x" has lost its CAPWAP connection. If i get in the interface quick enough, i see the offline icon to the left of the AP, give it a few seconds, and its back online. Email after email with all different AP's around campus doing that.

Then sometimes that just stops, out of the blue no more notifications, other times a new firmware seems to fix whatever is going on with that, such as 10.0.4.5 that fixed the issue.

However, last week i install 10.5.1.0 and now im getting dozens of emails a day from various AP's stating they lost their CAPWAP connection.  Same thing, quick enough in the interface, its showing as offline, but leave it alone and its back online in under a minute.

So it appears that this new firmware has re-introduced that back into our environment.

Any ideas about that? and yes that VoIP checkbox on Sonicwall is checked, persistent NAT.

Thanks, Jason

PS: These are AP650(AH) AP's

9 REPLIES 9

mlederer
New Contributor

Is there any update here? I too am concerned about increasing the threshold for all UDP connections. I tried to create a custom policy to affect just port 12222 but that didn't seem to have any effect. I'm not sure my method targeted port 12222 correctly.

Have a look at this article: https://extremeportal.force.com/ExtrArticleDetail?an=000058924

This applied to any firewall with such settings. 

If issue is not resolved, I would recommend that you open a GTAC case so that we may investigate further. 

BR,

Christoph S.

systemscsn
Valued Contributor

Well, this is NOT good.  So, i check the status of XIQ cloud services, and see virginia-1 is degraded, and note - with dismay - that its part of Amazon's AWS services.  I check their services as well as downdetector.com and see right at that time a lot of complaints about AWS having issues.

So, i have an interface that isnt actually showing me what it is designed and created for.  close to real-time status of my wifi network.  its obvious this AWS outage is affecting their Virginia-1 site, which in turn turned our interface into meaningless data.

I thought something wasnt right, when all of those going down, were still pingable, and i had not received one complaint from our users.....

thats really bad, and really changes the way in which i now vies the XIQ interface...  also, with all the AWS outages, why oh why did they decide to put their "stuff" there and not in-house?

Anyway, getting back to UDP, see my question above, thanks

systemscsn
Valued Contributor

okay all of a sudden at 1230 im seeing a LOT of AP's go offline and then back online.  Always pingable, but its been at most 6 in a day, we have had 7 in an hour, and its still going on.

I didnt change anything. so have no idea why this is going on.  The cloud portion could go down, but the AP's at a location would be unaffected, right? EDIT: yes if you DONT believe what the interface is telling you... see below.

GTM-P2G8KFN