cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Captive Portal on WING5.9 to redirect to External Link (on both bands)

Captive Portal on WING5.9 to redirect to External Link (on both bands)

FlyBy
New Contributor
Requirement -

1. There are two bands on WING 5.9.
  2. One BAND will be used for RADIUS AAA Authentication
  3. Other BAND will be used for redirecting (by captive portal functionality) to an external link
Is the above possible on WING 5.9??
3 REPLIES 3

Tomasz
Valued Contributor II
Hello Prateek,

I apologize for late reply.
With WiNG your Captive Portal can run its own webpage, or externally hosted webpage (would have to go deeper and see how the communication has to work between an external webpage and WiNG Captive Portal engine), or you can redirect to an external Captive Portal. Which option would fit you most?

You can have those different WLANs on separate bands (as I understand 2.4 GHz/5 GHz) but what if you had guests meant for one band but their devices supporting only another band? E.g. we all know 5 GHz is better than 2.4 GHz but still you can find new laptops with 2.4 GHz-only WLAN interface.

Hope that helps,
Tomasz

FlyBy
New Contributor
Hi Tomasz,

Thanks for your reply.

The use case is the following -

1. One WiFi band is used for Guest login with AAA Authentication
  2. Second WiFi band to be used for interaction with Guests and show ads using captive portal. No AAA auth required. No internet access given to user. Just Captive portal redirecting to an external link.
Can the captive portal redirect to an external link??

Thanks,
Prateek

Tomasz
Valued Contributor II
Hello FlyBy,

If I understand the concept, you would have to create one WLAN with RADIUS AAA, one WLAN with Captive Portal and bind them to relevant radios (radio 1 or radio 2).
For the sake of curiosity, what is the use case? There is also an option to have RADIUS AAA with fallback to Captive Portal if primary authentication fails.

Hope that helps,
Tomasz
GTM-P2G8KFN