Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clustered NX9600 and NX5500 Upgrade from 5.8 to 7.4.0.2

Clustered NX9600 and NX5500 Upgrade from 5.8 to 7.4.0.2

msalaque
New Contributor

Hello All

I have 2 cluster  NX5500  and NX9600.  I need to upgrade them from Wing 5.8 to 7.4.0.2.

I have couple of questions if anyone could help .

1. What is the upgrade path from 5.8 to 7.4.0.2 . Should I upgrade to 7.1.0  then 7.4.0.2 ?
  1. what is the best way to do cluster upgrade ? should I do standby first reboot and then primary ?
  1. All our APs are AP-8533 and has code 5.8. Will all AP upgraded to 7.4.0.2 directly after I upgrade the controller ? This is a new deployment so Will it be a problem after controllers upgraded to 7.4.0.2 or I will able to upgrade the APs from controllers directly from 5.8 to 7.4.0.2?

Thanks

Salaque

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ckelly
Extreme Employee

Salaque,

1. According to the Release Notes, for the 8533 APs, the upgrade path to 7.4.x would require the 8533’s first be running 5.8.4 and newer.
  2. For upgrading the cluster, I don’t believe that there is an official recommendation on the upgrade order. If the APs do not need an configuration changes and you want to minimize the amount of traffic flow between the APs and controller cluster, you could just first upgrade the Secondary, disconnect the Secondary from the network, upgrade the Primary controller, and then reconnect the Secondary again...and ensure that the controller cluster rebuilds.
    1. You could also upgrade the Primary first - which would then cause the AP’s adoptions to fail-over to the Secondary controller.  Then upgrade the Secondary, which by default will cause the APs to return back to the Primary.
    2. You could upgrade the Secondary first.  Then upgrade the Primary which will briefly cause the APs to fail over to the Secondary while the Primary is rebooting. Once the Primary is rebooted, the cluster should reform and the APs will return to the Primary.
  3. Automatic upgrade of APs by controllers has been disabled in WiNG, so after an upgrade from v5.8.4 to 7.4.x, you will have to start an AP upgrade via the controller.  According to the Release Notes, you should be able to upgrade directly from v5.8.4 to 7.4.x.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

ckelly
Extreme Employee

Salaque,

1. According to the Release Notes, for the 8533 APs, the upgrade path to 7.4.x would require the 8533’s first be running 5.8.4 and newer.
  2. For upgrading the cluster, I don’t believe that there is an official recommendation on the upgrade order. If the APs do not need an configuration changes and you want to minimize the amount of traffic flow between the APs and controller cluster, you could just first upgrade the Secondary, disconnect the Secondary from the network, upgrade the Primary controller, and then reconnect the Secondary again...and ensure that the controller cluster rebuilds.
    1. You could also upgrade the Primary first - which would then cause the AP’s adoptions to fail-over to the Secondary controller.  Then upgrade the Secondary, which by default will cause the APs to return back to the Primary.
    2. You could upgrade the Secondary first.  Then upgrade the Primary which will briefly cause the APs to fail over to the Secondary while the Primary is rebooting. Once the Primary is rebooted, the cluster should reform and the APs will return to the Primary.
  3. Automatic upgrade of APs by controllers has been disabled in WiNG, so after an upgrade from v5.8.4 to 7.4.x, you will have to start an AP upgrade via the controller.  According to the Release Notes, you should be able to upgrade directly from v5.8.4 to 7.4.x.
GTM-P2G8KFN