cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Clustering of virtual controller?

Clustering of virtual controller?

BigRic
New Contributor III

We’ve got a new deployment of (8) 8533 AP’s and (8) 7632 AP’s. We’d like to set up two of the 8533’s as redundant virtual controllers (like a typical “cluster” of vx9000’s or older WM3600’s). I can’t seem to find any way to do this officially and I’m wondering if it’s only possible via the CLI (or if it’s possible at all). I’ve only done this once before on a full blown controller. If it is possible, can it be done in the UI? Are there any gotcha’s to look out for?

Thanks

Eric

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Christopher_Fra
Extreme Employee

Hello Rick,

You can have all of the AP8533s in the same AP Profile and instead of using static IP addressing on VLAN 67 and use DHCP (possibly reservations). Have the AP76xx in their own AP Profile and I would disable rf-domain capable on this AP profile. 

When you configure auto-elect VC feature for the AP8533s, you can use the ,21 as the virtual IP and whatever AP is the VC at the time you try to access .21, only that AP will respond. This way you do not need to keep track of what AP is the VC.  

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

BigRic
New Contributor III

Thanks guys. Seems we were heading down a legacy path (not having done this recently) and missed the dynamic VC concept details. We also had (and still do) issues getting the controllers to properly trunk and allocate VLAN’s. We adopt at L2 on v67 and then allocate SSID’s on two other vlans (60 and 68). It seems that the DVC setup assumes that the adoption network is V1 and if you try to correct it (change the native, untagged network), it breaks your connection until you can get into the CLI and set up the trunk and native VLAN settings. Of course, one of the AP’s we’re using is 34’ up in the air, complicating this. Do most of you find that the CLI is a more reliable way of deploying this setup? We never use V1 for adoption.

RobertZ
Extreme Employee

Hi, BigRic please see the below knowledge Article :

How to create Virtual Controller redundancy? -

Christopher_Fra
Extreme Employee

Hello Eric,

I have attached a document that should assist with your configuration inquiry.

GTM-P2G8KFN