cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External AP earthing recommendations

External AP earthing recommendations

Rod_Robertson2
Contributor
As usual I seem to inherit all kinds of networks.

We have a number of external AP's which if you look on the installation notes should be earthed, the poles should be earthed and basically the external copper link cable should have some sort of surge/lightening protection.

Reading the installation notes this earth is a must .. so the next question is :

Functional ( local earth spike )( document implies earth spikes )

Electrical ( connected to some sort of building earth )

Basically this installation has none .. so from an AP operational view , they work , from a lightening strike and safety point of view , they are at risk and also with external copper link cables , the switches and possibly the buildings mains are at risk.

So my question to the forum , is for those that have installed external AP's what did you do ? (With no prejudice to yourself or the company)

3 REPLIES 3

Rod_Robertson2
Contributor
Raffi thanks for the update , basically we have a system that has a number of external poles, ( very good lightening conductors ) which have not been grounded.. hence the question about the external AP's, some of the external AP's are fed by copper , which we are putting some sort of "surge suppressor on " again this needs to be earthed, to ground plate or spike..

I have had nothing to do with this installation , and I am very surprised , that these masts were put up without reference to any local building regs or onsite supervision.

Raffi
Extreme Employee
Earthing / grounding is not a common sense topic  There are clear rules and regulations on how it is to be done specific to the country and region and it is up to the certified electrician / installer to know the local electrical and building codes where the installation is being done.

Raffi
Extreme Employee
External AP installation should be done by a licensed professional, who will know how to take care of grounding the ap, by attaching it to the appropriate ground or supplying one such as a grounding plate buried to the appropriate depth adhering to the local regulations.
GTM-P2G8KFN