cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to configure DHCP Server?

How to configure DHCP Server?

Joel_Garcia
New Contributor
I'm configuring an AP8533 with Wing v5.8, and I have two different wlan (SSIDs) and I want to distribute different dchp one for each SSID.

At the moment I only have one DHCP server configured that is in a vlan1 virtual interface; I would like to know how to configure it.
4 REPLIES 4

RobertZ
Extreme Employee
code:
WLC#conf t
Enter configuration commands, one per line. End with CNTL/Z.
WLC(config)#dhcp-server-policy vlan1
WLC(config-dhcp-policy-vlan1)#dhcp-pool vlan1
WLC(config-dhcp-policy-vlan1-pool-vlan1)#network A.B.C.D/M Network number and Mask
WLC(config-dhcp-policy-vlan1-pool-vlan1)#network range x.x.x.x y.y.y.y
WLC(config-dhcp-policy-vlan1-pool-vlan1)#default router A.B.C.D Router's IP address
WLC(config-dhcp-policy-vlan1-pool-vlan1)#​dns-server x.x.x.x

WLC(config-dhcp-policy-vlan1-pool-vlan1)#commit write

Apply the newly created DHCP policy
WLC(config)#self
WLC(config-device-B4-C7-99-6D-CF-45)#use dhcp-server-policy vlan1
WLC(config-device-B4-C7-99-6D-CF-45)#commit write

ckelly
Extreme Employee
DHCP services are setup based on the networks they need to lease addresses to. You don't assign a DHCP server to an SSID (WLAN).
Normally you would have multiple SSIDs, each operating on different VLANs.
A DHCP server would be configured with address pools for the networks that the different VLANs represent. The DHCP service would then applied to either an access point or a controller.

So if you have SSID-1 and it's mapped to VLAN-1 and SSID-2 and it's mapped to VLAN-2, you would create a DHCP server and then setup two address pools. One for each VLAN.
Example:
VLAN-1 might be for subnet: 10.10.1.0/24
VLAN-2 might be for subnet: 10.10.2.0/24

Within each of those address pools you would also specify the IP address range for the addresses that would be handed out to the DHCP clients.

So if a client is looking for a DHCP service on VLAN-1, they could be doing this from the wired side or the wireless side. It doesn't matter. As long as they're on the VLAN-1 subnet, they will be served by the DHCP server and given an address that has been setup for the 10.10.1.0/24 network. Same for the VLAN-2 network.

Joel_Garcia
New Contributor
If so, I already have both DHCP, but I am not able to assign a DHCP to a specific SSID.

ckelly
Extreme Employee
I'm assuming here that the other SSID will be operating on a different VLAN (something other than VLAN-1)

Here's a link to a guide for the GUI:
https://gtacknowledge.extremenetworks.com/articles/How_To/How-to-configure-DHCP-service-using-GUI-on-WiNG-device
GTM-P2G8KFN