Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to configure Extreme 7522 via CLI

How to configure Extreme 7522 via CLI

Adam15
New Contributor
Hello,
I'm looking for a basic guide on how to configure Extreme 7522 via CLI. I need 3 SSIDs with WPA2 authentication assigned to separate VLANs. I can't find any simple guide on how to do this, the CLI reference guide doesn't help me at all, there is too much information on hundreds of pages.

So far I've created a virtual controller with static IP.

Please help!
13 REPLIES 13

Adam15
New Contributor
Thank you very much, Christoph and Chris, for detailed answers! You really saved me!

@Christoph, I'd love to use GUI, but the company I work for, have just bought Extreme 7522 and we have to wait 2 weeks for maintenance subscription, I have no login credentials and can't download the standard firmware, all 8 APs have LEAN version and they have to work as soon as possible. Unfortunately, I always configure them via GUI and have little experience with CLI .

I stayed in a warehouse all night to make it work and without your help it would be a disaster.

I also have a problem with connecting via mint, I get a connection timeout. Do I have to set an AP as a controller to be able to connect with mint neighbours? It shows the controller as a mint neighbour but doesn't connect.

Thank you very much again!

ckelly
Extreme Employee
Adam, I don't think there are any docs that cover quick AP setup via CLI.
Essentially though, you need to create the WLAN(s), map the WLANs to the radios, and setup the ge1 interface to include your VLANs that are assigned to the WLANs.

enable
config

(Build a bare-bones WLAN)
wlan (hint: make the WLAN name the same as what you plan to use for the SSID - it will be like this by default though once you issue this command.)
show context (this will show you what you have in the WLAN so far)
encryption-type ccmp
wpa-wpa2 psk 0
vlan
commit write
exit

(Map the WLAN to a radio)
profile ap7522 interface radio 1 (This is for 2.4GHz)
wlan
interface radio 2 (This is for 5GHz)
wlan
commit write

Setup the ge1 interface (This assumes no DHCP, captive portal services running on the AP)
interface ge1
switchport mode trunk
switchport trunk allowed vlan <10,20,30, 50-100> list out the VLANs like this, as needed
commit write
end

(Define the regulatory area the APs will operate)
config
rf-domain
commit write

(Give device a hostname)
self
hostname
commit write

show run
(see your config you've built)

There are a lot more options you can add at this point, but you should see the SSIDs beaconing from the AP now. (unless I missed something)

Christoph_S
Extreme Employee
Hello Adam,

May I ask why you'd like to do this from CLI versus GUI?
what firmware version is the AP on?
Do the VLANs you want to create on the AP already exist and are segregated on your router/switch?
Is this a new deployment?

There is no 'How to doc' that directly addresses this specific type of configuration; however the main components are as follows:

1 - Configure country code
2 - Create vlans
3 - Create wlans, configure security and map to vlans
4 - enable smart-rf and configure power and channels
5 - Map the wlans to the radios
6 - Trunk the ge1 port and map the vlans to said port

I would suggest you contact GTAC for assistance on this, or if this a new AP, the partner you purchased it from should be able to assist you as well.
Christoph S.

Sree_Pattabiram
Extreme Employee
Hi Adam,

You should be able to find this information in the WiNG 5.9.2 Wireless Controller and Service Platform CLI Reference Guide:

https://documentation.extremenetworks.com/WiNG/5.9.2/CRG/9035491_WiNG_5_9_2_WC_CRG.pdf

Thank you,
Sree
GTM-P2G8KFN