Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to roaming time WING 5/7

How to roaming time WING 5/7

Aviv_Kedem
Contributor

Hello community,

I am convinced that there is some method to check out the client roaming time.

Suggest please

Aviv

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ckelly
Extreme Employee

Aviv,

Finding a way to determine the time a roaming event can be a little subjective in that it depends on when YOU determine the point at which point the roam event actually starts.  (Some might say that the roam begins with the client starts probing the new AP, but doing so means you are including the time that it takes for the client to probe for APs and get responses.  Do you care about that?).

For someone who is more concerned about actual delays between roams for data/time sensitive applications, maybe your timer begins when the last data frame is sent by the client (ACK’d also maybe?) and stops when the client sends its first data frame using the new AP.

Specifying when the roam event events is usually easier.  Usually it’s the end of the 4-way handshake (signifying the end of the association process with the new AP) or when the client first sends a data frame when using the new AP that it roamed to.

Personally, I would START the ‘timer’ when the authentication request frame is seen from the client that is roaming and would then END the timer when message-4 of the 4-way handshake is transmitted by the AP.

So in the messages you posted, it looks like you would start at the first “AUTH” message from the client...which SHOULD be the authentication request.

From the messages you posted though, I don’t see the 4-way handshake messages.

Use this filtered syntax to only show what we’re looking for here.

#remote-debug wireless rf-domain <RFD> clients all events management wpa-wpa2

A roam should look similar to this.

ca66660a27f1405fac0f46b51d11fd54_c27b164e-6b55-4814-bc7c-9b976ce38ecc.png

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Aviv_Kedem
Contributor

Hello Nikolay,

Thanks

Aviv

Necheporenko__N
Extreme Employee

Hello Aviv,

You may run command like the following one to collect all packets related to the certain host during the roaming time and then check timestamps.

remote-debug live-pktcap rf-domain default radio all filter ether host AA-BB-CC-11-21-33 

Best Regards,

Nikolay

GTM-P2G8KFN