cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to set up Wing controller that will connect directly to ISP ip address?

How to set up Wing controller that will connect directly to ISP ip address?

Ronaldo_Asimao
New Contributor
I have a virtual VX9000 controller, a 7522 ap and an ISP static ip.
9 REPLIES 9

Also, I noticed in your diagram that VX9000 is in the same network segment as the ISP?

I am testing via a laptop by the way. VX9000 is installed on the same laptop as a virtual machine. The laptop, AP, and the ISP cable are inserted on one same PoE switch. this is my set up. Will this work?

Hi Ondrej,

Can you share a link where i can learn how to do this configuration. I am really lost here. Total newbie. Thanks.

Regards,
Ronaldo

HI Ronaldo,

If I understand correctly, below topology is what you wish to have, right?

fd1249176b3d407bb69f5c4472fbb389_RackMultipart20170426-125057-pzmnyz-newone_inline.png

If yes, this will be in control of hypervising server. You may use forwarding, VLAN tunneling or segmentation.
VX9000 will be only part of specific subnet in scope of hypervisor and will accept ISP or manually added IP address.

Every AP keen to adopt to this VX9000 will need to know its public IP.
Also port UDP 24576 has to be open on VX side for MINT (level2) adoption.

Regards,
Ondrej

Ondrej_Lepa
Extreme Employee
Hi Ronaldo,

could you give me a little wider description of what you are about to do?
As VX9000 is virtualized machine, you always need to think about hypervisor.

If this is in house server you need to prepare the connection to assign external IP, if this is cloud based installation, you might have this directly.

Either or, please find VX9000 installation guide here so you can learn a little more on how to setup VX while installing or here to find system reference guide for general release WiNG 5.8 (not sure what version you have).
If there are not other restrictions, you may assign manual IP address to your VX VLAN and have it accessible publicly.

Then you'll just pre-stage APs or let them use DHCP option 191 to find controller.
Little outdated, yet valid documentation to be found here.

EDIT: Option 60 is not valid anymore. This is changed to WiNG. I believe.

Regards,
Ondrej
GTM-P2G8KFN