Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating from XIQ to WiNG 7.9.3

Migrating from XIQ to WiNG 7.9.3

Vilarin
New Contributor

Hi!

I am migrating my client's infrastructure from XIQ to WiNG, and to be honest - I am getting confused each time i look into WiNG controller.

XIQ is pretty simple, and since my client's network is working flawlessly, I have to migrate it 1 : 1. 

XIQ also has plain and simple radio profiles, whereas WiNG has AP profiles - which, if I correctly understand, I can configure for each AP with specific radio (and more) settigns.

Currently, I have a few questions/issues/problems:

• How to deny connection requests from legacy clients? Meaning, from 802.11b on 2.4GHz and 802.11a/b/g for 5GHz. XIQ has it plain and simple, WiNG not so much. 
  • Can I configure transmission power settings? Like, max transmit power, transmission power floor and max drop. 
  • I couldn't find interference thresholds - XIQ allows us to configure them (Interference and CRC Error) in percentage values. Is it possible to do as such in WiNG? 
  • For Dynamic Frequency Selection I can only see DFS Revert Home option in WiNG, where XIQ allows ZeroWattDFS. Is there some kind of equivalent?
  • Is there a possibility to regulate channel width? From what I understood, it could be done via Smart RF Config, but I'd like to know if I am right or wrong. 
  • Channels for each frequency - I can set channels for each radio in Basic cathegory in Radio settings, right? I can't click them out separately, but controller allowed me to write them with separating them with " , ". 

I also got a question from my client - they wonder, why WPA2/3 Enterprise Profile has PSK defined. 

Test APs adopt nicely (305C and 410C), but migrating the whole configuration and policies isn't that easy. 

During my research I am using WiNG 7.9.3 Getting Started NOVA Guide, and while it's quite helpful, I still have many questions. I am still learning, so help would be much appreciated!

1 REPLY 1

ckelly
Extreme Employee

Regarding the use of Profiles - in WING, AP Profiles essentially define the entire configuration of an AP's operation. You build out the various profiles and policies throughout the WING system and then specify if you want to use them in the AP Profile. When comparing to XIQ, the WiNG AP Profile more closely resembles the Network Policy. Hopefully that sheds a little light.

• How to deny connection requests from legacy clients? Meaning, from 802.11b on 2.4GHz and 802.11a/b/g for 5GHz. XIQ has it plain and simple, WiNG not so much. 
    • To deny connections from clients only supporting legacy rates, there is not a single checkbox like there is in XIQ. You will need to specify the allowed rates from clients in the Wireless Policy by selecting an option that doesn't include those undesired rates. In the Basic tab of a Wireless Policy, scroll down and locate the dropdown menu "DATA RATES". For 2.4GHz, select something like "gnx" (doesn't include 'b'). For the 5GHz "RF MODE", choose what you want...or choose custom to be able to specify the exact rates you want to allow. (same custom settings can be done for 2.4GHz)
  • Can I configure transmission power settings? Like, max transmit power, transmission power floor and max drop. 
    • Yes. This would be done in the SmartRF Policy. (Policies -> Smart RF). The Smart RF Policy is where you define how channel and power operate (as well as other items). In the Smart RF Policy, go to the "CHANNEL AND POWER" tab and you will see the min/max configurations...and the channel settings.
  • I couldn't find interference thresholds - XIQ allows us to configure them (Interference and CRC Error) in percentage values. Is it possible to do as such in WiNG? 
    • How the radios react to various types of interference is also something that is configured in the Smart RF Policy. This is configured under the "BASIC" tab. You will see a dropdown for SENSITIVITY and also different checkbox for the types of interference tools that are available to enable.  To then fine tune each of these interference tools that you selected, go into the "RECOVERY" tab and on the bottom half, look the at "INTERFERENCE RECOVERY" settings. It's a little more involved than XIQ because it's more flexible. There should be documentation available somewhere online that goes into detail of how to tune these settings. Beyond the scope of this response here.
  • For Dynamic Frequency Selection I can only see DFS Revert Home option in WiNG, where XIQ allows ZeroWattDFS. Is there some kind of equivalent?
    • [If I'm recalling this correctly] WiNG does/did have what is called Scan Ahead DFS, but it is only available on certain model APs that have a dedicated 3rd radio that operates as a sensor. (those model APs are now end of sale, so essentially, this feature is not supported in WiNG any longer)
  • Is there a possibility to regulate channel width? From what I understood, it could be done via Smart RF Config, but I'd like to know if I am right or wrong. 
    • Yes, channel width is part of the Smart RF Policy under the "CHANNEL AND POWER" tab.
  • Channels for each frequency - I can set channels for each radio in Basic cathegory in Radio settings, right? I can't click them out separately, but controller allowed me to write them with separating them with " , ". 
    • If using Smart RF to let it pick best channels for you, then you specify which channels Smart RF can use in its selection for best channel under the "CHANNEL AND POWER" tab.

Once you have built up your Smart RF Policy, you then need to specify that this Smart RF Policy should be used. If you don't do that, that all you have done is build the Policy - and it just sits there. To use it, you apply it to the individual Sites. Go into "Site" and into the "POLICIES" tab. Notice the "SMARTRF POLICY" dropdown. Select the policy here. Repeat this for each Site that you want to use the Smart RF Policy that you build.

I also got a question from my client - they wonder, why WPA2/3 Enterprise Profile has PSK defined. 

You'll need to provide a screenshot for this. I'm not sure what you are seeing here.

GTM-P2G8KFN