Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Radio Settings - Transmit Power

Radio Settings - Transmit Power

Daniel_Valera1
New Contributor II
Hello,

I need change the Transmit Power configuration in the 2,4 ghz radio only in 1 AP of all wireless domain
Actuality the transmit power profile configured is in SMART (0 to -20 dbm)... i want change static mode in one only ap maybe in -25 dbm... my questions is: if i change it don´t affect the signal of others AP?
12 REPLIES 12

Doug
Extreme Employee
Typically the general rule of thumb is to not set your AP tx power greater than what the tx power is of your clients.
Doug Hyde
Director, Technical Support / Extreme Networks

Don1
New Contributor
Yes. We sometimes express signal with the "-" sign, but they are both the same.

Colin_Steadman
New Contributor
Thanks for the insight Don, very useful. Just one last thing for clarity, I noticed both yourself and Daniel have a negative symbol in front of the values dBm values. When I look at the basic radio settings on an AP that symbol is missing - is -24dBm and 24 dBm equivalent in this case?

3a7fecb10ebf45e1905f1c77a9214cb3_RackMultipart20160411-54387-1yj9vap-11-04-2016_16-03-25_inline.png

Don1
New Contributor
The transmitter has an optimal setting and I have had to use the -24dBm in an environment before. Think of it as if the transmitter is like a CPU. The more power (overclocking) you force the CPU to perform under, the shorter the lifespan. Transmitters are much the same way. They have an optimal minimum/maximum recommendation. This is for optimal ranges and longevity. So the more power you push to the transmitter, the shorter its lifespan.

Ronald_Dvorak
Honored Contributor
Not a problem in ROW region as we could never go that high 
GTM-P2G8KFN