Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing RFS7000, still need support for old APs

Replacing RFS7000, still need support for old APs

Scorch
New Contributor

Hi!

We’re finally going to replace the old RFS7000s and, in time, the APs as well.

The issue is that we have production relying on wifi around the clock. We can create a window for the controllers, but the APs needs to be replaced gradually over time (about 120 of them).

That means we need the old APs to work with the new controllers as well. These are:

AP650
AP6521
AP7522
AP7532

I’ve been looking at NX5500 and V2210 to start with. But I’ve find no proof they will work with these APs.

Does anyone have any tips or other useful input on what to chose?
AP recommendations are also appreciated. It’s mainly for use in large warehouses with large stacks of goods.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ckelly
Extreme Employee

Scorch,

For those four AP models to all be managed by a single WiNG build, the latest common build would be 5.8.6.9. The limiting AP in that set is the AP650.  If the 650 was not included, you could run up to 5.9.1.9.

As far as controller models to choose, the first question is whether or not you are running any tunneled WLANs.  If you are, you will need to run a hardware controller (versus the VX9000 which is a VM).

If no tunneled WLANs are needed, I’d recommend the VX9000.

If you need tunneling support, then it depends on how many APs you need to manage.

The smallest current hardware controller, the NX5500, can manage up to 512 APs.  The next step up would be the NX7500 (up to 2048).

And then finally, the NX9600 supports up to 10K APs

All of these controller models support WiNG version 5.8.6.9 and higher so it would just be a matter of choosing the model that ‘fits’ in terms of sizing.

As for recommendation for replacement APs, if doing a refresh, then it makes sense to look at the new 11ax models. From there, it depends on your pricepoint and specific wireless needs/requirements.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Scorch
New Contributor

Hi Chris and thanks for your reply.

I’m guessing ‘bridging-mode tunnel’ equals tunneled WLANs. In that case, yes we are using tunneled WLANs.

So that probably means 2x NX5500 for us. We won’t ever use more than 512 APs.
And after that it would just be a matter of installing 5.8.6.9 and start preparing to make the switch.

Thanks!

ckelly
Extreme Employee

Scorch,

For those four AP models to all be managed by a single WiNG build, the latest common build would be 5.8.6.9. The limiting AP in that set is the AP650.  If the 650 was not included, you could run up to 5.9.1.9.

As far as controller models to choose, the first question is whether or not you are running any tunneled WLANs.  If you are, you will need to run a hardware controller (versus the VX9000 which is a VM).

If no tunneled WLANs are needed, I’d recommend the VX9000.

If you need tunneling support, then it depends on how many APs you need to manage.

The smallest current hardware controller, the NX5500, can manage up to 512 APs.  The next step up would be the NX7500 (up to 2048).

And then finally, the NX9600 supports up to 10K APs

All of these controller models support WiNG version 5.8.6.9 and higher so it would just be a matter of choosing the model that ‘fits’ in terms of sizing.

As for recommendation for replacement APs, if doing a refresh, then it makes sense to look at the new 11ax models. From there, it depends on your pricepoint and specific wireless needs/requirements.

GTM-P2G8KFN