cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RFS4000 and AP650 as existing wifi repeater or is it time to retire these for good

RFS4000 and AP650 as existing wifi repeater or is it time to retire these for good

Jeremy-Bullfrog
New Contributor

Hi

I still have a couple of RFS4000 and AP650's kicking around which I once was familiar.
I'm thinking of extending a wifi that I have no control over, has anyone tried using AP650's effectively as a receiver to existing wifi to then extend it. I'm not in a position to tap into the cat5 ethernet going to the existing wifi AP's.
These are obviously now quite ancient, am I better just resigning to the fact these should now be retired never to be used again.
Thanks
Jeremy-Bullfrog

4 REPLIES 4

Daren_Ellis
Extreme Employee

Hi Jeremy-Bullfrog,

AP650 does support Mesh bridging.
If you would like to try 
I would advise making sure deployment is on 5.8.6.9 for best performance and stability for the Legacy AP650.
https://extreme-networks.my.site.com/ExtrArticleDetail?an=000101025

Thank you, I had a vague recollection the AP650 might. My RFS4000 is on 5.8.1.0-012R. I've a further challenge though, I've a selection of Standard and Brocade AP650's. The ones running 5.8.1... are adopting, the ones running version 5.4.1.0 aren't. I've some recollection they need to be on a newer firmware in order to adopt, I think the branding got dropped after a certain version, it's been a while could be talking rubbish. The ones running 5.4 at least have an IP address on them so can ssh onto them if a firmware update is the ticket.

Thanks

Jeremy-Bullfrog

I vaguely remember that being a possibility.
I found the following release notes regarding conversion.
If you can get the software it should be possible.

See release notes below
http://documentation.extremenetworks.com/release_notes/WiNG/WiNG_v5_7_Release_Notes.pdf

Thank you Daren, that has cleared a few things up for me.

Seems that the conversion file BR650-CONVERSION-5.7.0.0-057RM.img was only available up until Dec 2015 from Zebra, so I may meet a dead end on this one, but the possibility remains.

Many thanks for your help though, much appreciated.

Regard Jeremy-Bullfrog

GTM-P2G8KFN