Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

rfs4000

rfs4000

Ahmed_Abbas
New Contributor

Hi All,

I have a rfs4000 and 2 APs(7632 and 8432) and I wanted to deploy at home so is there any documents or guide to connect through the the Xfinity modem/router?

Thank you,

Ahmed

4 REPLIES 4

ckelly
Extreme Employee

Okay...so simple for DHCP, don’t have to do anything at all on the RFS setup (except I would static address the RFS4K)

For the VLANs, yes - If you are going to be setting up WLANs that will use tagged VLANs, then you need to setup the AP Profiles ETH interface as a trunk interface and then specify the allowed VLANs.  No need to create SVI’s in the VLAN interface section.  Just create the WLANs and specify the VLAN they’ll  use - and then the ETH interface as trunked and the allowed VLANs.

Not sure why you want to do anything with the UP1 interface on the RFS4K….as far as I can see, the only point of the RFS4K here is to manage the APs - and if the WLANs are locally bridged, then the RFS4K is out of the picture at that point except that you use it to manage and configure the APs.  After that, you COULD just disconnect the RFS4K if you wanted and the APs would be fully functional (unless you’re going to use the RFS4K for PoE for the APs)

Ahmed_Abbas
New Contributor

Hi Chris,

I wanted to use the DHCP from Xfinity modem/router so whats about VLANs configs shall I leave as it just change the mode from access to trunk? or no also when I connected to Ethernet ge2 its working with DHCP. I want to configure the up1 port as the Gateway from Xfinity device to provide the APs and clients the IPs and DNS.

Thank you,

Ahmed

ckelly
Extreme Employee

Ahmed,

As far as integrating with the Xfinity modem/router, some things to consider:

1. Where is DHCP service going to come from?  Using the Xfinity?  Using something else?  Want to use the RFS4K?
  2. Does the Xfinity already have wireless built-in?  Likely will want to disable it.  Can you access it to do that?

Otherwise, it’s a very straight-forward process.  Setup your WLANs and create  your AP profile and map the WLANs to the radios in the Profile.  If you use the Xfinity for DHCP, then the AP will get a lease from it and so will the connecting wireless clients.  Clients will also get their Default route and DNS server info.  Just create your WLANs as locally bridged and keep it simple.

RobertZ
Extreme Employee

Here is the installation guide for the RFS4000. 

GTM-P2G8KFN