Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SNMP to change AP7532 V7.3.1

SNMP to change AP7532 V7.3.1

Phil_storey
Contributor

Hi all

is it possible to use SNMP to change a forgotten admin password  ? I changed the PW and forgot to make a note of it - oops 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

ckelly
Extreme Employee

Essentially, yes.

What I would do though is:

Take the backup copy and edit it and remove the entire management policy section

Factory reset AP (login: reset/FactoryDefault)

Enter new password when prompted

Enter: enable

Enter: config t

Copy and paste the edited backup config (with the removed management policy) at the prompt: (config)#

Scroll back through all the pasted entries and make sure that none of them caused an error.  If there is an error somewhere, reply back here or try to understand why that particular entry caused the error and fix it.

Enter: commit write (This will then save the pasted running config into the startup-config)

Reboot the AP: reload

Login using your new password and check the config to make sure it’s what you pasted.

Save your new password somewhere safe. 🙂

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Phil_storey
Contributor

Hi

chucked up some errors about Nsight, ignored them , rebooted, normal service is resumed c493210ff1f24d0d8195d41ea5199c1b_1f44d.pngc493210ff1f24d0d8195d41ea5199c1b_1f600.png

Password recorded this time 

thanks

Phil

ckelly
Extreme Employee

Essentially, yes.

What I would do though is:

Take the backup copy and edit it and remove the entire management policy section

Factory reset AP (login: reset/FactoryDefault)

Enter new password when prompted

Enter: enable

Enter: config t

Copy and paste the edited backup config (with the removed management policy) at the prompt: (config)#

Scroll back through all the pasted entries and make sure that none of them caused an error.  If there is an error somewhere, reply back here or try to understand why that particular entry caused the error and fix it.

Enter: commit write (This will then save the pasted running config into the startup-config)

Reboot the AP: reload

Login using your new password and check the config to make sure it’s what you pasted.

Save your new password somewhere safe. 🙂

Phil_storey
Contributor

Hi

thanks for the reply, I have found a backup of the config, but I can’t see the admin PW in clear text, so Would it work if I factory default the unit login to it as a new unit, export the startup-config copy the line out under “management-policy default “ user admin password 1 xxxxxxxxxxxxx role superuser access all 

and paste it into the the backed up config ? this would then use the pw I set . then copy the startup-config back to the AP  (NVRAM) and restart, so it should have original config but with the new password ?

Phil

ckelly
Extreme Employee

Phil, I’m not aware of any way to change the user pw using SNMP. In the past, any time someone has forgotten the admin account password, the only thing that could be done is reset the device.

But...that was normally for cases of users using WiNG controllers, but in your case you seem to be indicating that it’s just for a single AP/model AP.  Is this a VC deployment or just an autonomous AP?  If so, you COULD adopt the AP to a controller or VC which would then assign management policy to the AP with a known pw. Short of that, I can’t think of any other way to recover.

GTM-P2G8KFN